School Sucks

Sachi glanced up at the wall-mounted clock watching the secondhand move gradually to the top of the hour signifying the end of class and the end of the school day. All-day she couldn't concentrate. All she could think of is that McCoy would stop by her house later to go over a case that he needs her assistance.

The last time she assisted him, she ended up hospitalized for exhaustion.

The bell finally rang.

Sachi grabbed her book bag, headed out the door, and pushed her way through the crowded hallway towards her locker.

"Oh, if it isn't Sachi Starlet aka anime girl."

Sachi jolted, fumbling with her padlock. For whatever reason, she could not get the combination right.

Inhaling a breath, she pretended not to hear the insult.

"Hey, anime girl!" the voice said closer.

Gritting her teeth, Sachi turned. It was none other than Callie, the popular girl from the high school drama club, and the two hanger-on's who follow her around, Emma and Emily.

The threesome sauntered over--giggling and laughing--and blocked Sachi so she could not escape.

Although naturally pretty, Callie always wore makeup heavy that made her look fake and always wore the latest fashion. She never wore the same clothes twice. That also applied to her hair. She changed colors almost every other week. This week, her hair is platinum blond. Emma and Emily copied whatever Callie did as though they couldn't think for themselves.

"You heard me didn't you anime girl?" Callie said grinning while Emma and Emily snickered.

"I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me that," Sachi said.

Callie rolled her heavily mascaraed sky-blue eyes.

"You're not one of those justice warrior types that get so easily offended over every little word."

Sachi glared at her.

"I mean just look at you," Callie said stepping forward invading Sachi's personal space. "With your Asian looks, all that's missing are those huge saucer eyes."

Sachi felt her eyes water. The last thing she wanted to do is cry in front of those low-lives.

"Leave her alone, Callie!"

She snapped her head around to see Kael standing in the middle of the nearly deserted hallway. He was frowning, his nostrils flared.

"I was just kidding," Callie said blushing. "No harm, no foul."

Kael scoffed. "Kidding? You were making fun of Sachi because she is Asian. You were mocking her culture."

"You take things too seriously," Callie said tossing her bleached hair over her shoulder. "Let's go, girls," she said staring back at Sachi and smiling before sauntering away.

"Ugh! I can't stand her," Sachi said as Kael approached.

"I'm sorry about that," he said caressing her arm.

"What are you apologizing for?" Sachi said. "She's doing this because she likes you and sees me as a threat."

"Well, I'm not interested in Callie," he said. "I don't like shallow people. I'd rather hang out with people who are real. Someone like you."

"Really," Sachi said a red flush blooming on her cheeks.

"Really," he said. "You should know that since we've pretty much known each other our whole lives."

"Yeah," Sachi said smiling. "Ever since puberty hit you like a truck, you've been a girl magnet," she said playfully elbowing him on his side. It seems every girl in this school wants to date you."

"Ow," Kael said feigning as though the elbowing injured him. "That's not true."

"Have you looked at yourself in the mirror?" Sachi said. "Last year, you were still just a skinny kid with an average face. Now, with the baby fat gone, your cheekbones more defined, and you're a few inches taller, you look like a runway model."

"I do," he said red-faced.

"Why else would you wear your hair like that hanging over your eye giving you a mysterious aura?" She said. "It's to drive the girls wild amirite?"

He shook his head, bashful. "Nope."

"Did I mention the designer clothes?" she said.

"Stop! You're killing me." He groaned.

The teasing over, they silently walked out the school towards Sachi's blue Audi parked in the assigned area for students. She pulled out her car keys from her book bag and hit the button to unlock the doors.

"Soon, you won't need me to give you a lift when you get your license," she said tossing her book bag in the back seat as he sat down and buckled his seatbelt. "You'll be turning sixteen next week."

"I can't wait," he said. "I want to have a big party. You only turn sixteen once. You might as well go big."

Chuckling, Sachi turned the key in the ignition and started the car.

"You want to hang out at Great Northern Mall? Maybe watch a movie?" He said.

"I can't," Sachi said. "I have to meet my godfather today."

"Oh," Kael said glancing down at the car floor mat. "M-maybe we can go some other time."

"Yeah," Sachi said backing out and driving away from the parking lot.

"I'm surprised you're not listening to Scout right now," he said. "You still weren't able to score any concert tickets?"

"Only if they'll come to Ohio," she said. "It's still not included in their tour dates." She sighed. "Ohio gets no love."

"Keep the faith," he said. "You'll see them."

"I hope so," Sachi mumbled.

Dropping Kael off at his brick colonial house, Sachi headed home-dreading every minute of it.