It's ok to not be ok

The rambunctious blaring of the small alarm clock jarred Nicole out of her peaceful sleep, nonetheless she jumped up turned off the alarm and started changing into her uniform. As of late Nicole had been getting up at ungodly times so that she can be at the homestead before Waverly, who was discharged from hospital a week and a half ago, woke up.

Nicole was ready by half past six and before leaving she emptied a tin of food into the kitty tray as she stared at the orange ball of fluff who was sleeping on the couch, after doing the small chore she picked up her new jacket from its hook, put on her stetson, jumped into her cruiser and sped off in the direction of the homestead.

The sun had just started to rise and the sky was filled with the luminescent colours of yellow, pink and purple as Nicole came to a stop outside the Earps homestead. She got out of the car closing the door as quietly as possible as to not wake up anyone inside and made her way through the front door where she welcomed the warmth that a fire had once provided in the fireplace but had died off. Nicole took off her boots so she could walk freely about the creaky floorboards as silently as possible, and made her way to the kitchen where she began brewing a pot of coffee.

"Back again huh Haughstuff" Came a voice that startled Nicole "God you're persistent," Wynonna said laying on the couch, Nicole hadn't even noticed she was there.

"Ah, and always on time," She said lazily pointing at the clock which hung on the wall that read quarter to seven. 

"Jesus Wynonna, I didn't even see you there," Nicole said turning back to the counter where she had started to prepare breakfast for the three of them.

"That's cause I'm stealthy y-yeah like A NINJA," Wynonna said karate kicking the air and sending the blanket she was wrapped in flying across the room. "and I smelt coffee soooooo,"

Nicole chuckled at the heir, who was obviously still a bit tipsy from the nights drinking beforehand. Nicole and Wynonna had grown close which was great considering when they first met they couldn't stand each other and Waverly genuinely appreciated their friendship. Nicole poured two mugs of coffee and placed one of them on the table next to the couch, where Wynonna had decided to finish a well-needed nap and sipped at the one remaining before turning to the cupboards in the kitchen and preparing the ingredients she would need.

For the past week and a half, Nicole had been there at the Earp homestead for when Waverly would wake up. The two had grown closer than ever before and Nicole felt the need to protect her in whatever way she could, even if that meant arriving early and making Waverly's favourite breakfast, pancakes. Nicole may be picky with her food but she took pride in her own cooking ability and every day she would change the ingredients for the basic recipe, today it was blueberry.

It didn't take as long as it usually would to make the pancakes which Nicole figured was probably due to their being no interference from Wynonna, but nonetheless, Nicole tidied up and left the kitchen in its original state before pouring a glass of orange juice and grabbing the stack of pancakes and heading up the stairs to Waverlys room.

She balanced the plate of food on the nook of her elbow so that she could knock softly on Waverly's door. 

"Waves, It's me, can I come in?" She said softly waiting for a reply, but none came. Her chest tightened as a sudden wave of worry and fear hit her because Waverly always replied. Nicole opened the door and quickly bolted into the room before pausing to allow her eyes to adjust to the light, she looked at the bed tucked into the corner of the room and her heart missed a beat when she saw the young Earp whimpering and shivering in her sleep. Nicole shuffled to the bedside and slowly tried to stir Waverly, who was evidently having a night terror, awake. She shook Waverly's arm and cupped a hand around her sweat ridden face shaking harder to wake her up until Waverly jolted upright breathing heavily with tears streaming down her face.

"Hey, It's ok, I've got you." Nicole said embracing the younger Earp who curled into the embrace and cried into her shoulder whilst Nicole ran her hand through her tangled hair and rubbed comforting circles on her back. 

"I'm sorry, I-" Waverly chocked in between sobs 

"Its ok Waves, its ok to not be ok." Nicole whispered into her ear before deciding to join Waverly's side on the bed. She gracefully slipped in underneath the covers and let Waverly's head lean into the crook of her neck as she wrapped her arms around her shaking frame. She planted a small kiss on her forehead and immediately felt Waverly's breathing start to calm and her shivering stop, she resumed her previous regime and began gently stroking Waverly's hair whilst peppering her with kisses which gained a doleful smile. Nicole hated seeing Waverly like this and it broke her heart to even think about what had happened to her to cause such brutal nightmares, but Nicole couldn't help but smile back at Waverly who was tucked tightly into her arms and was wearing her old jacket. 

============================================

A/N

WOOP WOOP I AM EXHAUSTED AND WANT TO DIE!

Pls tell me if this story is bad or boring but I just thought that because I suck at updating I'll give you all some cutsie wayhaught fluff (kinda) in order to make up for my mini absence. And just a notable heads up I probably won't update for a week or two cause I have my final exams and Ignition for next years classes soooo please forgive me in advance.

Much love,

Me, The author

Side note: please comment and/or vote cause that's like the only way I can tell people are actually reading.