Holy Christ on a Cracker

Nicole heard Jeremy take a deep breath as the cruiser pulled up at the open gates of the caravan park. She put the car in park and turned off the ignition.

"Alright listen, stay close and keep your weapon up at the ready. If we get separated don't panic just call me," She said motioning towards the earpiece hidden under her red hair.

Nicole could swear she heard Jeremy audibly gulp as he nodded in acknowledgement of her instructions.

They walked silently through the open gates of the trailer park with their weapons at the ready, Jeremy following Nicole's every step nervously. After 10 minutes of searching and weaving in and out of the rows of trailers Nicole turned back to discuss possible options with Jeremy, however, the young man was nowhere to be seen. 'shit' Nicole muttered to herself as she began retracing her steps.

'god this place is like a fricken maze' Nicole thought as she scurried along looking for Jeremy. She made her way down another row of trailers and was preparing to turn the corner and continue her search before feeling something slam into her back knocking her off her feet and sending her falling to the ground.

=

Jeremy could have sworn he heard something scurrying across the gravel behind a trailer and he turned away for a split second to investigate but that was long enough for Nicole to disappear. Remembering his previous instructions Jeremy stopped the rising feelings of panic and took several deep breaths in an attempt to remain calm.

=

The blow to her back had winded Nicole but thankfully, her vest took the brunt of the force, she scurried off the ground only to be met with another blow to the back of her knee forcing her into the gravel. On instinct and through her many years of police training Nicole anticipated the next blow and lunged herself to the left, narrowly avoiding it. Whilst doing so she reached to her side and pulled her gun from its holster and in one swift professional movement she spun around with her sidearm at the ready and matched the blackened gaze of the revenant who had attacked her.

He was at least a head taller and had in his possession a wooden bat, they stood at a stalemate, Nicole's finger hovered steadily over the trigger as she tried to guess his next move. Just as she had foreseen the revenant lunged forwards in an attempt to attack her again but Nicole was one-step ahead as she angled her gun downwards and shot him in the kneecap. There was an estranged cry as he fell to the ground clutching his injured leg; his face was that of pure agony.

Jeremy had heard the gunshot ring out and was now concerned. Without thinking he eagerly sought out the source, as he hurried down a path, he remembered Nicole's instructions, stay calm and call her. So with shaking hands he activated his comlink and called for Nicole.

"Deputy Haught, Nicole, can you hear me".

Nicole was taken aback, she had completely forgotten about her counterpart and with her gun still aimed at the heap of a man before her, she pressed the button on her earpiece and replied to Jeremy's call.

"Jeremy I'm here. Where are you."

"Oh thank god I heard a gunshot and I thought-"

"I know I ran into trouble, but I have it handled, now tell me where yo-"

It was as if fate was against her today because due to the distraction of the conversation Nicole had not seen two more assailants sneak up to join the fight. Without warning, another gunshot echoed through the trailer park and Nicole was once again thrown back from the impact of a bullet that connected with her vest. Unlike the previous blow, the bullet had left her momentarily paralysed as she clutched her chest and gasped for air.