Chapter 4 : Return

3:31 am

That was what the clock read.

She was still Miyano Shiho.

She was in the professor's house.

In the guest bedroom.

She came home an hour or so ago.

Shiho sighed.

This had been a long, bizarre night. She touched her lips. It felt as though they tingled from a certain someone's kiss.

It all seemed terribly absurd. He had kissed her. He had actually kissed her.

Shiho arched her back, pushing her body forward onto Shinichis'. He licked her lower lip, asking permission to enter but such a right was taken from her grasp when she gasped, his tongue licked hers as it entered her mouth and she shivered.

And then he stopped as if someone had pulled a switch on him.

Shinichi swore. "Oh god.. I.. I just.." he was at a loss of words.

Shiho tried her best to regain jet composure. "Are you drunk? You are, aren't you? Kudo this is dangerous," Shiho looked the other way. She sounded stupid. Oh OBVIOUSLY, he was drunk.

Shiho never felt stupid.

Or, flustered.

"You.. you don't know what you're doing, you probably won't even remember any of this by tomorrow.." she chuckled without humor. "

"Listen, Shiho.. I-I'm not-"

"Whatever, Kudo-kun" she didn't know why she'd said that, she blushed and walked away from his grasp. "L-let's just go home," her footsteps made strange sloppy sounds as she walked across the wet grass and mud.

"Forget none of this ever happened. All of it. I'd run some tests on you, and possibly ask you some questions regarding your transformation yet, you're.. not exactly acting like yourself right now," to Shinichi, she almost sounded disappointed.

"I'm sorry, Haibara. Truly, I didn't mean to-"

"It's fine," so we're back to Haibara now, eh? "It's okay, we all make mistakes," she sounded almost wistful. As if here but not really here either.

Shinichi didn't answer. His head buzzed. He didn't know what had gotten into him. He liked Ran, he knew he liked Ran, but a part of him didn't want to lose Shiho, too. She was all he had. He'd be lying if he said he hadn't thought of kissing her before. Because he had. Thought of it, I mean. But rational, smart Shinichi would never do that. This was drunken, woozy Shinichi. The other Shinichi would do this. And he had done it. He wouldn't say he regretted it; it was... breathtaking.

But it wasn't supposed to happen. Not like this. Not this way. When he walked onto that roof in search of her, he knew he couldn't go after her as Conan. A child. She wouldn't take him seriously. He had to be the man he was. And so he took several bottles from the Hotel kitchen, leaving a few bills behind on the polished table - he wasn't a thief, after all. And he drank and drank. A single bottle would merely change him for 20 minutes or so. That wasn't enough. He needed more time, and so he drank more and more and more, and by then he was back in the kitchen with a vodka bottle, he didn't know why. He'd never been drunk.

But he liked the feeling. The feeling of simply letting go.

They'd all come here to stop Kid to begin with.

But drunken Shinichi lay on the floor, not caring about anything. Let alone Kid. Screw Kid. He was probably already gone anyways.

"Kudo," Shiho's voice snapped him from his trance.