03

It was a day or so later that when the cage door opened and Azog stood holding Ylva by the scruff of her neck, that Beorn merely looked at them and then shut his eyes again. He was ignoring both of their presences. If he paid attention he could tell it wasn't going to go down well. Hearing the quiet yelp and thud as Ylva landed on the floor, he still didn't open his eyes. They still remained shut as footsteps retreated along the corridor.

His eyes opened though and he looked over his shoulder when he felt tentative fingers trail over the scars on his back. Pushing himself to sit the last thing he expected was for Ylva to suddenly throw her arms around his neck and hold onto him tightly. She was shaking, afraid and frightened beyond anything, he could tell that. He could tell that the last time he saw her, and even more so when Azog had attempted to get them to fight.

Reaching up, he carefully placed his arms around her. Embracing someone was a strange concept which he had almost forgotten about. The sudden warmth and comfort which he seemingly provided for Ylva was obvious when she stopped shaking and just remained motionless in his arms. "We leave now." Beorn said lowly. He didn't wish to watch her fight again. Nor did he wish to fight against her. It didn't take a genius to know the winner of this fight if it really had to happen.

"We can't," Ylva's quiet voice replied while she rested her head against his shoulder and shut her eyes. "You know he expects that. He'll have guards set up. I'm surprised there's no one guarding the outside actually." She looked over her shoulder towards the corridor beyond. It was empty. No signs of life, just the flickering of the torches which cast warm orange glows over everything.

Beorn frowned, he disagreed completely. But then he looked to her shoulder. The deep teeth marks remained. She was injured, she wouldn't get far if there was to be a fight. She let out a quiet yawn and blinked slowly. She was injured and tired, two reasons why now was not a good time, along with the fact that Azog clearly expected it of them. Ylva looked up at him, "He's gone away, but I fear he will not be away for long." She decided to tell him. "When I was being carried here, I saw the orcs in the corridor. He's tempting us, Beorn. As soon as we try, we'll be killed. Well, perhaps not so much you...but me, yes." She said, despite of everything he looked in relatively good shape. He could fight, and he could kill. She was injured and weak. Frowning, she shook her head, dying didn't seem like such a wanted thing anymore. Turning in his arms, she stretched her legs out in front of her. Laying her head back against his shoulder, she tilted her head up to look at him. "When you get out of here, what do you plan to do?" Ylva asked lightly, even smiling over the thoughts she had on freedom and what to do with it.

Beorn was at a loss. "I don't know." He answered honestly. He didn't know. He wished to return home. But the home he knew was long gone, destroyed and taken away from him. He couldn't return there.

Ylva gave a nod. She could completely understand. Life beyond a cage was something she was struggling to imagine too. Tilting her head to the side, she let out a thoughtful hum. She had forgotten what the sun felt like, grass beneath her feet. Giving a decisive nod, she looked up at him. "A house."

Beorn looked down at her with a light frown. "A house?" He questioned.

"I'd like to live in a house." She said while leaning back against him and shutting her eyes. "You know, a proper house. I remember roaming with my brothers, we were exploring and we came upon a little town." She paused at the memory as her eyes opened and dimly looked about. "The cottages...they all looked so cosy and sweet. Windows with window boxes, thick wooden doors, strong walls. They looked safe. They looked like great refuges." She decided. He looked at her confused when she let out a laugh. "And a garden." Ylva smiled widely and looked up at him.

"Did those cottages you see have gardens too?" He questioned curiously.

She looked thoughtful before nodding quickly. "They did. With so many flowers, all different colours and sizes. Sweet smells and busying bees." Ylva smiled wistfully at the thought.