24

Naturally those who had survived the dragon's attack on Lake-town, and who had found refuge in the ruins of Dale, the last thing they really expected to see – while they readied for a fight – was a charging horse, let alone a large wolf running alongside it. People naturally vaulted out of the way exclaiming all sorts of things in their directions. Someone even dropped a pile of unsharpened weapons he was carrying as he caught sight of the two. He too joined in shouting something their way, but his words were lost as the pair travelled passed and further into the town.

To say Ylva was intrigued by Dale was an understatement. It was strange to see people dwell within a place which looked so uninhabitable. Yet they found a way to make this place a home; or a temporary shelter. Gandalf and Ylva had seen the destruction which was bought down on Lake-town by Smaug. The two of them had shared confused and surprised looks, confusion for how anyone could survive such turmoil, and surprise that the dragon was now dead; sunken somewhere deep below in the dark waters.

"Let me through!" Gandalf exclaimed while spurring the horse onwards. Beside him Ylva momentarily paused only to shake her head and run after him. She was watching a woman trying to deter her child from following them. It was for the best, whatever information Gandalf was going to speak about was not suitable for young ears. Even Ylva didn't think she was wholly prepared for it. After such a long journey, without many stops, all she quite frankly wanted to do was sit and rest and sleep, maybe try and find food and then rest some more.

"Make way!" Gandalf continued to exclaim as yet more people seemed to flock out into the rubble strewn streets and get in the way of the horse. They looked at him with bemused looks, which quickly turned to surprise when their eyes landed on Ylva's form. She simply looked at them and eyed up the training rows of men which they had suddenly stopped near.

Dismounting, Gandalf looked around with wide eyes when marching elves in golden armour walked past. Ylva let out the quietest of whines and shook her head, sniffing the ground, she looked up at him as he placed a gentle hand on her head. "Calm yourself, you're fine." Ylva looked up at him panting lightly, giving her head one more swift soft pat, he moved slowly forwards away from the horse. She naturally followed after him, she wasn't taking too kindly to some of the looks the people were sending her way. At least the elves were already aware of her existence and played ignorant.

"No, no, no. Oi! You, pointy hat!" A high pitched irritated voice exclaimed from behind them. Both turning, they watched as a slightly hunched over man came walking out from a building with narrowed eyes in their direction. "Yes, you," the man said in a sure tone while moving down the stairs towards them. "We don't want no tramps, beggars, nor vagabonds around here." Gandalf moved forwards a step or two as the man before him was drawing close to them. "We've got enough trouble without the likes of you." With a point the man gestured to the steed he arrived on. "Off you go, on your horse." He said sharply while looking up at Gandalf as he limped slightly forwards.

His words if anything clearly irritated the wizard, and for sure they had annoyed Ylva who stepped slowly away out of his shadow and looked sharply up at the man with narrowed eyes. Letting out a low growl if anything caused the man to suddenly fidget on the spot, highly unnerved. His nerves more or less disappeared and left him when Gandalf asked in a loud voice; "Who's in charge around here?" His eyes narrowed down at the quivering man, he sure as anything wasn't.

"Who's asking?" Ylva perked up suddenly and looked up, she did not know his name but she remembered his face. And it seemed she was not forgotten either, for the most part Bard thought he would never see the she-wolf again. When he had aided the dwarves, or at least left to load his barge, when he returned she was gone. They had explained she had returned home to her mate, and he left the matter at that.