32

Waving excitedly as their guests moved further and further away, Ylva sighed. She was going to miss both Gandalf and Bilbo. She couldn't even deny that, she had not known either that well; sure, she may have known Gandalf longer, but she hardly spent time with him to wholly know anything much about him. Even still, he was still classed as a friend. Bilbo she just found endearing. It was simple as that. And she was going to miss his humble ways, and his slight awkwardness.

More often than not in the small time he had stayed, he had had a few moments with Beorn. The poor small male was at a loss and just coughed awkwardly before shuffling away as quickly as possible. Obviously and naturally he was hesitant around the bear-man. Beorn just raised an eyebrow and watched him curiously. Unlike dwarves, Beorn didn't exactly hold any predetermined opinions about Shirefolk, more specifically: hobbits.

"I shall miss them. Do you think they'll ever come back this way?" Ylva asked while looking to the side.

Beorn stood with his arms crossed, he looked thoughtful. "No, I do not think they will." He looked at her as she looked saddened. He wasn't one for lying, least of all to her. So, he wasn't going to start now, he told her the truth. The way they all parted ways now, this time, seemed all so very final; like it was truly the end.

Ylva kicked her feet and looked down as Helga trotted by her with Clyde and Arn following after her. She couldn't help but smirk, it was no guessing who the leader in that little pack was. Beorn watched them go and then looked back to Ylva. "May I ask you something?" She seemed at a loss.

"What is it?" He uncrossed his arms and placed one around her shoulders while leading her back to the house. She wiggled out from his grasp and walked around towards the main garden. She slowly sat down amongst the flowers which were growing thick and fast. All around her was an abundance of different coloured flowers. Some now grew very tall and had spread to grow up the side of the building.

She blew a curl out of her face and flinched. "Sorry! I didn't know you were there!" She shot an apology to the bee which had seemingly taken up resting against her hair, only to be rudely blown away. The round yellow and black insect buzzed off and ended up settling on another flower. Ylva raised an eyebrow, she dearly hoped it hadn't mistaken her for a flower to begin with. She didn't know of any flowers which had black petals which stuck up in odd angles, like her hair.

Shaking her head, she looked up as Beorn knelt down in front of her. "What is it?" He repeated again after watching her moment with the bee and realising that she had forgotten that he had even spoken.

"Well," a frown appeared on her face as she leaned back in the high grass. It cushioned her quite nicely, she smiled as she watched as he moved to sit beside her. Leaning his arms on his knees, he looked to her, waiting for her to continue. "What do we do now?"

Beorn looked to her confused, Ylva tilted her head and placed her arms underneath herself. "What do you mean?"

"Well like, we were trying to live peacefully, right? And then...everything sort of ran away from us...and now...now..." Ylva trailed off and sat up slowly.

Beorn frowned and looked to her. "You're at a loss."

"Well, yes."

"Would me answering; live the quiet life, and raise our child, be sufficient enough for you?" Beorn asked, Ylva hesitantly shook her head. "I thought as much." He rolled his eyes. "You are a hard woman to please." He grumbled while she grinned and nudged her shoulder against his. Beorn frowned down at her before looking around at their peaceful home.

The field before them had the ponies and the horse which Gandalf had borrowed, running around enjoying the space. Every so often they'd stop, look around, graze and charge about. The deer who had come and gone lurked on the outskirts. Even the foxes and geese seemed to be getting about out here. There was quiet bleating from elsewhere which meant the sheep were around the other side of the home.