7

Ever the masochist I couldn't leave well enough alone. I should have thrown out the manuscript but I didn't. Instead it found its way back into my purse and a handful of days later I found myself reading it during a lull at the office. I felt myself pulled in by Chloe's story, she had everything I'd yearned for with Mr. Emery. They had dates, they slept in the same bed every night and they bantered like every other couple. However, her submission to him was more like icing on a cake than the main event in their relationship. That I didn't envy.

However it didn't stop me from getting more frustrated with every page I read and it had nothing to do with their relationship exactly. Though his icy demeanor was melting Mr. Emery was still very cold with me most of the time. By contrast he'd never been that way with her. If she was telling the truth he was open and warm with her from day one. I didn't even get his cordiality in the beginning. Supposedly they joked during her interview, they laughed and instantly hit it off in such a way that even I wanted them to end up together by the end of the book.

As I reached the end of part one I sighed heavily and tucked the manuscript back into my purse.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz. My WAKE phone skittered across my desk with a text message.

-Did F. Carlson confirm for my lunch meeting?

Pursing my lips I sighed and replied, recalling all of the fun messages he used to send Chloe through out the day according to the book.

-Yes, Mr. Emery Sir. And everything is arranged for you two at Grayson's. Do you need me to attend with you?

-No, Natalia. You've really been indispensable this week. Enjoy your lunch hour.

-Of course, Sir.

What did you expect? An out pouring of how he needs you? How he wants you at a meal where you'll have no other job but to sit at the next table over and bring a file to him when the time calls for it?

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz. My personal phone vibrated in my purse making me jump.

"I need to lay off the coffee," I spoke to no one as I took my old battered smartphone out. For the longest I just stared at the screen. The message was from Chloe.

-Hey girl! I'm going to be in your neck of the woods for lunch. Wanna meet up?

Should I?

As if on cue Mr. Emery exited his office with Logan from special projects. The sour faced blonde man shot a glare in my direction as he stormed off down the hall. Instead of returning directly to his office, Mr. Emery paused outside of the door and stared at me for a few moments before giving me a quick nod.

"Looking forward to having lunch free?" He asked as he walked over to my little nook.

"Honestly, Sir?"

"That's always nice." He smirked.

"I don't quite know what to do with myself, Mr. Emery."

"It's because you crave structure, Natalia. Without it you look to the nearest person of authority of guidance. There's nothing wrong with that." He walked to my desk and stopped when were maybe a foot apart. "Some might even consider it an endearing trait."

"Do you, Sir?"

He took a deep breath and his smile fell. "I most certainly do." A touch of sadness came to his eyes and he glanced around. "Come into my office I want to talk to you."