17

When the sun came up the next morning I was showering the paint off. It took twice as long to wash. My whole body seemed to be consciously attempting to avoid trying to do anything that would mean having to be closer to Mr. Emery. When I got out of the shower I dressed back in Lacy's sweater dress and realized that I'd need to go change before work.

In the open space, I found Colin awake with a white mug in hand that said I BET YOU WERE THINKING THERE'D BE SOMETHING WITTY HERE as he looked over the painting. He glanced up at me and flashed me a weak smile.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, Chuck Close." Colin clapped.

"Yeah, not quite."

"This is really fucking good. You got the colors spot on. I'm shit with colors, I can see the lines but fuck colors."

I nodded. "Thanks. Uhh could you give me a ride to the Emporia?"

"Yeah. And I'll blast this sucker with a dryer and hit it with the varnish and drop it off tomorrow."

"Are you sure that's enough time for the paint to cure?"

"Yeah. I use this brand of acrylic because it cures fast."

"Okay."

Colin took me to the Emporia and it was weird riding the elevator up by myself. When the doors opened I don't know what I expected but everything looked like business as usual with the exception of Mr. Emery being no where to be found. Tara was in the kitchen cooking and the maid was cleaning up around the bar. The living room looked like a tornado had gone through. The screen for the television was shattered and broken glass was everywhere.

Forcing myself to not dwell on the destruction I was looking at or what caused it I walked back into my bedroom. One thing that struck me was the fact that my robe was on my bed and my comforter was rumpled like someone had slept in my bed. Again I forced myself to not think too much about it as I walked into the closet and dressed for the work. I chose a simply nude colored sheath dress that paired with matching three inch Louboutin's. I almost didn't wear the heels but I was acutely aware of how much he had taken over my wardrobe.

When I walked back into the kitchen Mr. Emery was sitting at the breakfast bar. I went around the other side and opened the refrigerator and got out one of the fruit on the bottom cherry yogurts. Turning around I was practically smacked in the face by the memory of my first morning in the Penthouse and how Mr. Emery was there behind me holding out a spoon. However, unlike before he wasn't there this time. He wasn't even looking at me. Sighing I shook my head and grabbed a spoon from the drawer before sitting back down.

This is going to way harder than I thought.

After I took my meds I sipped my water, played with my yogurt and looked at Mr. Emery's schedule for the day. I ate a spoonful out of obligation because if I didn't my stomach would give me problems. Without Lacy there to force me to eat I could hardly even make myself have the little I needed to take with my pills.

"Aidan." His name from my lips snapped his attention to me—and even made Tara turn around. "You have a meeting at eight with the other department chairs and the acting director of special projects."

"Thank you for reminding me, Natalia." He sighed and pushed his breakfast away.

"That hangover isn't going to go away if you sit with an empty stomach all day," Tara cautioned.

"I'll be fine. Natalia, please let Winston know we'll be leaving in five minutes." Mr. Emery stood and buttoned his jacket before heading up to the second floor.