Chapter 1: Searching

This is the first chapter of The Memory Jar, whoo! Like I said before, i'm VERY excited about writing this story, and the comments on the summary were greatly appreciated and very helpful!

I want to dedicate a large portion of this story to Jenny (a.k.a musicrazi), the other portion going to Zayn. I hope she doesn't think I'm some sort of obsessive stalker for gushing comments and votes onto her stories and then dedicating this to her, BUT if she reads this and doesn't already realize it, she's a big Wattpad inspiration to me. I love her style of writing. It's beautiful and artistic and just wowed me from the first few sentences. This is unlikely, but if you haven't read her works, go check them out! You'll fall in love right away, I promise! 

By the way: ONLY the first chapter is written from two different perspectives.

Anywho, I've edited this several times and am hoping it's worthy for the public eye, haha. Read on! 

Dana

            “He’s burning up, Dana.”

            I instantly drop the tattered word search book I’m working on and rush over to the two. They’re both under a small overhang protruding from an abandoned, old building, the only real shelter nearby.

            Ben is leaning over Dad, his brown eyes full of confusion and worry. His black hair is matted and dirty, and his face smudged with grime as it always is, but it just adds to his ragged, frightened appearance.

            I look at Dad and see his forehead is shining with sweat, and that he’s very clammy. His beard is a graying rat’s nest and even it is damp with sweat. As I gently brush the back of my hand against his forehead, he turns slightly to look at me, green eyes shining out of his tanned face.

            “We just got him medicine an hour ago,” I murmur, more to myself than to Ben beside me. “How can this be happening?”

            Ben looks as if he's about to start crying. Being only fifteen and so much of his life belonging to the streets, I can tell he has absolutely no idea how to help. All he can do is try not to panic.

            “We’ll find more,” I assure Dad, trying not to let myself cry either. Someone has to be strong for Ben now. Dad’s already lost hope for himself; if I lose hope too, there’s no chance.

            “Food is more important than medicine.” Dad croaks through cracked lips, weakly reaching up and brushing my unruly hair away from my face. “Food and water for you and Ben.”

            “But Dad-“ Ben begins to protest.

            “Go get food Dana,” Dad says as firmly as he can, but his voice cracks at the end, right along with a part of my heart. “Now. It’s getting dark.”

            I don’t want to leave him. If Dad… passes on, I don’t know how Ben and I will take it. Life is already difficult enough; I don’t know how we’re supposed get on as well without him.

            Ben and I exchange a glance before he nods. “Go on,” he urges, his voice barely above a whisper. 

            I force myself to get up and run back towards the main part of town. I force myself to leave my Dad and my brother, as I so often do, without another glance back.

            He has to get better.   

            I run down the narrow maze-like layout of the alleyway. In town are all of the restaurants and fast food places, both good and bad. Though we try to avoid the harsh environment of the city, it’s the only place that we can get decent, half eaten meals.