3 ~ As If We Were Okay

I sat outside Annie's room with my back to her door. I sighed.

"Hey Annie. I'm sorry about earlier. I'll be nicer to you. I know you probably don't want to talk, but I'll give you someone to listen to."

I told her about school and how I taught my bunny Frisbee to jump on command. I told her how my friend Piper and I went to the mall and filmed a video where we had to buy outfits for each other blind. I told her some funny stories about things my classmates had done to our teacher behind her back.

I heard a faint laugh. I smiled.

"Annie?" I said.

"I miss being able to do those things," she said quietly.

"I miss being able to spend time with you," I smiled sadly.

I heard a sigh. The door handle turned.

I turned around to see Annie sitting on the floor in front of me.

She was dressed in a black sweater and grey sweatpants and her hair was in a messy ponytail. Dried tears stained her red cheeks. Her eyes were a little bit puffy.

I felt my eyes begin to water. I bit my lip to try and keep myself from crying.

She reached over and pulled me into a hug. It was a weak one but I still appreciated it. I hugged her tight.

We didn't let go for a long time.

When she finally pulled away, I realized she was crying.

I was going to ask her if she was okay, but I knew she'd probably slam the door, and I didn't want her to push me out again.

It seemed like she read my mind.

"I don't know. I really don't know. I'm sad all the time, I don't know if there's really a cause or not," she played with her fingers.

"Do you want to watch a movie or something?" I asked.

"Sure," She said.

We stood up and I walked into her room. We got under the covers in her bed and she pulled out her laptop.

She let me pick a movie. I chose a happy kid movie because I just wanted to see if she could laugh at the jokes.

She didn't, but if I laughed at something and looked over at her, she'd smile at me.

For a moment, it felt as if everything was okay.

Like the world wasn't crashing down because my sister was broken, because my parents wouldn't try to help, because I couldn't stop the depression that was taking over Annie's life.

But it was only that moment.

Half way through the movie, something happened. I saw it in her face. Annie began to grow angry. I'm not sure at what, or if I did something wrong.

It all happened so fast.

She told me to go, then she yelled at me and pushed me out. The door slammed behind me.

I sat down with my back to her bedroom door and cried.