15 ~ The Text and the Shoebox

I slowly walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. I wanted to say hi to my dad, but I can't talk. It's freaking me out. Caleb took my voice.

"What happened to your face?" Dad asked.

I shrugged.

"Uh, well, what do you want for breakfast?" He asked.

I walked over to the pantry to grab a box of cereal.

"Are you okay? You seem really bothered by something, and you aren't talking."

I gave him an annoyed look.

"Sorry," he replied. I felt bad.

I ate my breakfast, then went upstairs and took a shower. The water burned my neck, so I tried to keep it from hitting the scar. I put on a shirt and some leggings, then picked up my phone. I hadn't touched it yet this morning. When I looked at it after waking up, something didn't feel right.

I turned the screen on. I had two texts. One was from my friend Piper, and the other was from an unknown number, but the bubbles were blue, meaning it was from an iPhone.

???: Pack your stuff. Text Paige.

I didn't know whether to trust them or not.

You better trust me.

Something put that message in my brain, but it wasn't me. It freaked me out, so I decided to trust.

???: Good. Get clothes, toiletries, and your phone charger.

I grabbed some jeans, leggings, and a pair of sweatpants and stuffed them in a backpack, along with some shirts, a sweater, extra shoes, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a washcloth and travel soap.

Me: Hi

Paige: Hey Hayley

I didn't know what to say. What was I supposed to be texting her for?

Tell her you're coming to see her.

What?!

Just do it.

Me: I'm going to Louisiana

Paige: Hayley, what?

Me: I'm going to see you.

I read her response. "Hayley, wait a minute, how are you even going to get here? You can't just—"

Block her.

I did.

???: Your dad is about to go to the store because y'all are out of cereal. After you hear his car leave, there's five minutes before I get to your house. Be ready.

???: Also don't forget Annie's sketchbook, and get the shoebox from under her bed. The one painted light blue.

I sighed. I had no idea what I was about to get into.

"Hey, Hayley, I'm going to run to the store real quick, do you want anything?" Dad yelled upstairs.

How did the person know he was going out, though?

"No thanks, I'm good," I texted him. A second later, I rushed down the stairs and gave my dad a hug.

"What's that for?" He joked.

Because you're a great dad, I wrote on a piece of paper and showed it to him. I smiled sadly. I tried my hardest not to cry.

"Aww, love you Haybug," he smiled.

I love you too, I wrote.

He left, and I returned upstairs, my eyes filled with tears. I went to Annie's room and grabbed her sketchbook and put on one of her hoodies, and I felt underneath her bed. Sure enough, there was a box there. I pulled it out. It was a brown shoebox with the lid painted sparkly blue, and in pink marker with her messy handwriting from when she was younger, written "Annie's Time Capsule :)". I smiled, but didn't open it. I took some tape and taped it shut to make sure nothing fell out while it was in my bag, and then returned with everything to my room. I realized that there wasn't enough room for everything, so I repacked everything into a duffel bag. I looked at my jewelry stand and saw my Caleb thumby. Everything that happened last night went through my head. I decided to take it with me, but I put it in the side pocket of my bag. I took a photo of my siblings (except Sadie) and I and put it on the top of my bag. I zipped it closed. I quickly looked around Annie's room for things to bring with me. I put Annie's blankie in the pocket of the sweatshirt I had on. I heard a honk outside. I breathed out slowly.

I threw the bag over my shoulder and opened the front door, locking it behind me. I turned around. In my driveway was a silver sedan.

I don't have all day.

I hesitantly put my belongings in the trunk. Already in there were a pink suitcase and a pair of vans, about a size 8. I shut the trunk and went around the side of the car. I slowly opened the passenger door and sat down. I closed the door, praying that I wasn't being kidnapped. The driver took off their hood and smiled at me.

"I've waited so long to meet you," she pulled me into a hug.

At that moment, it hit me.

"Sadie?" I asked as she pulled away. Wait, I could talk again?

She smiled, her eyes teary. She nodded her head. My eyes lit up. I felt my eyes begin to tear up. For the first time in forever, I knew what joy was like.

I pulled her into the tightest hug I've ever given anyone.