7 ~ Lonely Energies

Beep, beep, beep.

Beep, beep, beep.

Tap, tap, tap.

I waited anxiously for the doctor to come in.

Annie had just gotten out of surgery. It's now the day after she had jumped.

After the ambulance had arrived and put Annie inside, there was only enough room for one person to ride along. I angrily pushed my way past my parents and tried to sit inside, but I was told that it had to be an adult to ride with her. So, I huffed and rode in the passenger seat, next to my mom. She tried to justify her reasoning for ignoring Annie's needs, but I shut her out. What's done is done. No take-backs.

At the hospital, it had been determined that Annie had broken her back, her left femur, and she had some internal bleeding from the fall. Surgery was required. There were cuts and bruises all over her body, most of which I knew in the back of my head weren't from the fall.

And so here I was, nearly ten hours later. I could barely keep my eyes open, but there was no way I could fall asleep.

And so, we waited for Annie to wake up, even though there was no way to be sure she ever would.

At this point, I'm super glad we stopped vlogging nearly a year and a half ago. This would be a disaster to explain to the fans on camera. They already knew Annie had planned to take a break from social media, which had started shortly after vlogging ended, and she hadn't returned. At least this wasn't something we needed to explain right away.

I pulled out my phone and tried to distract myself and pass the time by playing games, but it didn't work very well. I groaned loudly. My parents stopped whispering and looked up at me. I sighed. They started talking again.

I had made them sit across the room. I was sitting next to Annie's bed. Well, as close as I could get because of all the monitors near her. I understand that our parents are her parents too and that they do care about her, but I wanted them to know that I was still very upset by their actions.

"I'm going to the vending machine," I announced.

I stood up and walked out of the room and down the hall. I slipped a one dollar bill in the machine and bought a bottle of water, then went back into the room. I sat down and took a long sip of water. It's going to be a long day.

+++

It's the next day, and Annie hasn't woken up yet. I'm dead tired and luckily Paige was able to come into town, so she's going to take me home to get some rest. I haven't slept since the incident.

"I'm so sorry this happened, Hay Hay. When Annie wakes up, I'm sure she'll be okay and your parents will do something about her depression. If they don't get her help, I'll do everything I can to take both of you, if that's okay with you," Paige said, starting her car.

"Gladly. You're a much better parent than they are," I grumbled.

"Hey. I know your parents have made some bad decisions, but it doesn't mean that they don't care about you. Give them at least a tiny chance. They'll probably be better in the future," she said.

I sighed and leaned my head against the window, closing my eyes. I fell asleep.

I woke up when she turned the engine off. I pulled myself out of the car and forced myself to walk into the house.

It seemed so different. There was a weird, lonely energy inside. I walked up to my room. Tears somehow still stained my pillow. I changed clothes, then walked back into the hallway. I glanced at Annie's room.

"Paige? Can you go into Annie's room with me?" I asked.

"Yeah, of course," she said.

Honestly, I was very scared about what I would find. I clenched my teeth as I slowly walked inside. I gasped.

There was blood everywhere. On her bed, the rug, the floor, and even the wall. Paige and I were horrified. I looked around, expecting to see a knife or one of her razor's blades somewhere, but I didn't see either of those.

Instead, I saw a pencil on her desk.

Another pencil on her bed.

Two pens on the floor.

I dropped to the floor and cried.

I'm so sorry I thought I posted this, I literally wrote it like two minutes after I uploaded the last chapter 😭