Chapter 7

It was a bright Saturday morning and kids in the halls were bustling around excitingly waiting for the first Hogsmeade trip of the year. New third years had folded permission slips sticking out their pockets and in their hands ready to give to Professor McGonagall to grant them access to the small village. This was just as exciting to the teachers as it was the students as this meant a well deserved leisure day after they finished their grading.

Atlas was in her greenhouse harvesting certain berries, roots, and flowers off of her plants to bring up to the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey had asked her of the favor as the nurse was running low on supplies for all of her potions and pastes. Lovell didn't mind as she found the task to be enjoyable as she spent some time with her plants and animals. She smiled as her cat Oliver pranced around the room, chasing one of the dangling vines Grublin swung around  to entertain the small creature.

When her woven basket finally was packed to the brim, Atlas started to make her way up the hill to the castle. She would wave to a few passing students she knew as they went down to the lake, seeing as not many people were out. She was clad in pollen yellow robes that resembled her houses colors and she felt like her style fit her cheerful mood that day.

Walking down into the west wing, Atlas took her time stopping by the giant windows that overlooked the grounds. Sometimes, she wondered how much had really changed since she attended school here. It had only been sixteen or so years, but everything from the cobble of Hargid's hut to the Whomping Willow swaying in the wind felt the same to her. The nights of turning into her animangus and sneaking under the deathly branches to touch the roots. Full moons of staying in the Shrieking Shack all night to help a desperate friend transform.

It dawned on her that Lupin still had to go to the shack as a teacher. She had all the power in her to go help him now like she used to, but would she? She didn't even want to speak to him in person, why would she want to help him over night?

There was a pang of guilt as she remembered how much he suffered though. She shouldn't be selfish if he really needed help during transformations. But also a part of her wanted him to feel the loneliness she felt after all the years he had left her.

But what was a ferret's help for a werewolf's problem?

Atlas had drifted off into a deep state of thought as she stared out the castle openings. A large frown settled onto her face as she recalled all of her memories with the Marauders. It wasn't until a voice called out from behind her that she realized how long she had been standing there.

"Professor Lovell?" Atlas spun around as was shocked to see Harry Potter standing there, a look of mild concern on his face, "Is everything alright? You look troubled?" He asked his Professor.

Harry didn't know much about Professor Lovell, and while Herbology was not his favorite class, Lovell was one of his more desired teachers at Hogwarts. After she had embarrassed Malfoy during her class, she had earned a lot of respect from the majority of the school, including his trio. Kids were starting to love having two new professors that actually taught well and didn't just snap at every mistake they made. Lovell made sure anyone who needed help got help and would understand the subjects she taught.

Atlas smiled at the boy, returning to her cheerful demeanor, " Oh, it's nothing to bother about, Mr. Potter. I was just daydreaming and lost track of where my mind was going." She reassured the boy. But suddenly, she remembered that he was a third year and was still at the castle. "Say, why aren't you in Hogsmeade with your friends? Surely you wouldn't miss the first trip?" She questioned her student.

Harry looked down in disappointment, recalling his struggle with accepting the fact that the entire castle was out having fun and not him. "My aunt and uncle refused to sign my permission slip and Professor McGonagall wouldn't let me go." Atlas was stiff as he mentioned his family, meeting them once and never wanting to again. The quickest thought of Atlas signing his permission slip came into her mind as she was his Godmother, but there was no possible way she could reveal that yet to him.

"Well, Harry, I feel terribly sorry that you have to miss out. The only thing I could tell you is not to sulk too much about it." This was her teacher advice, ya know, "Don't throw away a perfectly good day over something that you'll get many chances to go to later on." She attempted to cheer him up with a smile. He nodded his head, still clearly dissatisfied but with a slightly lifted spirit.

Atlas looked at him and her heart panged once more as he reminded her of James and Lily. It had hurt her as their dead bodies flashed in her mind again. The simple reminder that she had held the boy standing in front of her as he was a infant and orphaned. "Yes, Professor?" He asked once more as she looked at him with sorrowful eyes.

A faint smile grace her lips again. Shaking her head once more she dismissed it as nothing. She wanted to tell him how much he looked like his father but she thought it would be too weird. Even if the thought came to mind, she would have been interrupted as footsteps came from behind them. Both of them turned around and saw as Remus Lupin approached them, giving a long glance to Atlas who stiffened up.

He was just as shaggy as always, looking and feeling drained from an up coming full moon. Only she and few other staff knew of his condition and it felt odd keeping it as such a secret. Atlas glanced away from him, occupying herself with rearranging a few of her flowers and roots instead of having to greet him. "Good'day Harry, Good'day Professor Lovell," Unlike Harry, who had replied back, she had only given him a small nod, "Harry, I've come to get you for a small chat. You wouldn't mind a small cup of tea in my office, would you?" He turned to the boy and asked. Harry was taken aback that his teacher wanted a private chat with him.

"Certainly not, sir." He replied.

Remus looked at Atlas again who hadn't spoken a word yet. She knew she was in the wrong for making it look suspicious but she could help herself. "Ms. Lovell, would you care to join for a cup of tea as well?" He asked politely. She looked back up and swiped the hair in front of her face away.

"T-thank you but I have to decline," She said," I must give these to Madam Pomfrey, she needs them soon to make potions while the kids are away." Atlas had come up with her excuse, except she had actually told the truth. Lovell knew she was being childish and avoiding Lupin but her body would immediately go into a flight or fight response when speaking with him. "Maybe some other time perhaps." She suggested to seem less rude.

Remus seemed upset but nodded anyway, leading Harry back to his class room to talk to him about the bogart situation. Though, Harry was still most certainly confused as when both of his teachers started talking to each other, the tension in the air could have been cut with a knife. Rumors from kids around the castle have been that the two of them didn't like each other. However, to Harry it seemed to be more complicated than that. It was obvious they knew each other in the past but their interactions were just screaming avoidance.

He was sure that he would get to the bottom of why the two don't talk.