two

Two and a half hours before

Korey  

"Oh, hello Sidney." My mom says, smiling as she waves us into the kitchen. "What pleasure do I owe you today?"

"I was hoping it's good for dinner." She smiles back. "My parent's have already locked me out. Seeing the situation and all that..."

"Oh, you're not part of Korey's plan. Are you?" She says, putting the cassorol dish in the center of the table.

"I'm afraid I am, ma'am." Sid speaks apologetically. She bits her lip and nudges her chin towards to table. "May I?"

"Go ahead." My mom says through an exhale. "I can't believe you brought her into this... She's was so sweet." She mumbles under her breath as she gathers plates out of the cupboards.

"She isn't dead, mom." I nearly growl. "The doubt you have in me kinda hurts."

"Honey..." She trails. "I didn't mean for it to be like that."

"I hope I get shot."  I shoot at her as I take the plates from her. I notice her hands are shaking as she's handing them to  me.

"Don't say th-"

"Mom, are you afraid of me?" I furrow my brows, staring at her. Sid let's out a exhale and I can see her grip the sides of her chair in fear of what she's about to witness.

She knows us all too well; there's always a fight here. There's nothing wrong with our relationship, as it's perfectly healthy but our ideas and opinions are simmilar but the parts that are different are very different.

"No." She speaks up. "It's just... you are your father's daughter and..."

"Enough." I put my hand up and put all the plates down. "Let's just eat diner nicely cause according to you it might be the last."

"I... Uh..."  Sid mumbles as she searches for words to say.

She's my bestfriend, I guess, that's what you could call her. I've known her a while now and we needed another girl in our group. That's what the boys said anyways. She's good for the eyes, Ashton had said. He thinks he's the leader of this group, but really it's I. I'm the one who came up with the idea after I realized I was tired of being pushed around.

"So, where's dad?" I look at my mom as I furrow my brows. He's usually the first at the dinner table and I now he'd want to be there for me on a night like this one.

"I think he went out to get the flowers." She smiles, digging into the dish and giving everyone a slice of her cassorole. "Blue Morning Glories this year." She smiles bigger.

I nod and stare down at my plate.

7:00PM

Korey

"Are you ready?" My mom asks as she hands me a box of gauze and band-aids.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I nod my head as I throw my bag over my shoulder, noticing Sid do the say and shove her guns in her pockets.

I hear a loud noise go off and we all run into the livingroom where our TV has gone blue with the early broadcast showing. I sigh and clench my hands together noticing they're shaking. I take in a deep breath and look at Sid who is  standing straight, much like my bad who is saluting the screen.

This is the Emergency Broadcast System announcing the commencement of the annual purge.

At the siren, all emergency services will be suspended for 12 hours.

Your government thanks you for your participation

"Get out." My mom says in a deep voice, staring at me. "Get out of my house quick."

"Cherie..." My dad pleads as he reaches his hand over to put it on her shoulder.

"No." She jerks away. "Who knows what she may do to us." She turns to me and puts her hand on my shoulder with a tight grip. "Go so we can lock up. Don't come back till morning, or don't come back at all."

"But mom-"

"No." She shakes her head. "And if you try to break in, I'll kill you."

I bit my lip and blink a few times. I never thought this would end up like this. She's always been so sweet. What's even going on? Sid is just standing afar now, her back against the wall and her gun ready in her hand.

Am I the only person staying who I am? Why is everyone so hard now?

"I love you." My dad says quietly into my ear as he takes my mom by the shoulder and turns her away to the lockdown room. He just smiles sadly and closes the door behind them.

I turn to Sid and nod at her. Now is no time to have feelings or any kind of emotion. Now we have to go find the boys at Ashton's place and get into his truck cap on his truck. Thata's gonna be our safe spot. Well, as safe as it can be. Ashton covered the windows with black tape so you can't see in and it's a piece of junk anyways, no one would bother to try to break in and steal it.

I just hurry out when I notice the breakdown walls are being engaged. I take Sid's free hand in mine and when we get out of our small house, I just see then how dark it is outside. The streets seem to be wet from the past rainfall.

No one else is walking around here but that's probably because we live on a small street. We're lucky to have Ash as a friend who only lives a few blocks away and the walk isn't that dangerous. We're just surrounded by sick old people who might kill themselves before they harm anyone else.

We go down the busy streets and I follow the broken down fences till we find a big grey brick house, with all windows boarded up and a broken window. I look at Sid who's just as confused as I am.

"When they do this?" Sid asks.

"They must of gotten together earlier." I say as I kick down the fence and knock the special knock on the door. Knock. Knock-knock. Knock. Knock-knock.

"We've already wasted too much time." Ashton says, his shotgun thrown over his shoulder.

Authors note:

President Kennedy was the fastest random speaker in the world with upwards of 350 words per minute.

The link doesn't work but it was a profile thing but it isn't working and im just lost so yeah enjoy