December Reunion

Zhao Yunlan shivered as another gust of the chilly wind blew. 

The snow has yet to fall but the icy pavement and the colorful dancing lights were the early reminders of the upcoming Christmas day.

He hates this time of the year. The holiday season was the reason why overtimes have been a part of Yunlan's daily schedule.

This is why the police officer is now walking like an idiot in the middle of the night towards his own apartment.

He begrudingly placed his gloved hand inside the pockets of his coat and hunched over against the cold December weather.

For a December night, Yunlan observe that the street was a bit too lonely.  Despite the decoration adorning the street, it still gives off an empty feeling inside his heart.

Perhaps this was because his heart is lonely...

Yunlan felt a little embarrassed for what just crossed his mind. Smiling bitterly, he hastened his pace a little.

The apartment complex that Yunlan had chosen would seem unfit for a policeman with a wage as high as his. The place was for people who are still looking for a job and can't afford anything expensive. 

The complex has three floors. It was not shabby nor tattered but it was bland and too lonely which was very understandable since most of the tenants just stay for about a week or two then they move out after finding a job. It was already Christmas yet the building remained undecorated and gloomy.

Only Yunlan would choose to stay in a place like this. A place where there would be no need for an attachment or bond to develop between people he just met since both sides know that they won't be able to stay with each other anyhow.

Yunlan hesitated after he reached the bottom of the stairs up the second floor of the apartment.

He looked sideways towards the vending machine located across the street. Feeling parched in this throat, he retraced his step towards the machine...

Hearing the whir from inside the machine after he had pressed for a beer, Yunlan rummaged through his pockets for a cigar and lighter. Taking a drag, he bent down to pick up his beer. Unconsciously glancing up at his building across the the street.

Gifted with quick eyes and clear vision, Yunlan was able to see a figure quickly retracting itself and plunging into the darkness of the balcony in one of the rooms on the third floor.

Straightening his back, Yunlan stared suspiciously at the pitch black balcony, taking quick puffs from the cigar and waiting for the figure to once again emerged.  Seeing nothing, he simply shruggeded his shoulders, putting out his lighted cigar. He crossed the street, from time to time juggling the can of beer in one hand.

Once across, Yunlan popped the can open and watched with satisfaction as the bubble fizzed and overflowed from the can.

He drank the beer with big gulps and emptied the can in one go.

He was about to throw the can in the garbage tin located in front of the complex when he noticed something on top of the bush beside it.

Being a policeman, he was curious by nature and went nearer to investigate.  Disappointment was painted on his face however, when he realised that that 'something' was nothing, just a mask.

He was about to turn away but for some reason he chose to come nearer and pick-up the mask.

"Excuse me."

A voice from behind causes Yunlan to do a sudden turn which would have caused a whiplash if done a little harder. 

He was face to face with another man.

The man was wearing a winter coat for protection against the chilly air. He was about the same height as Yunlan, a very fit body, a structured face and had round glasses perching on his nose obscuring the view of  black eyes framed by thick curly lashes that seemed deeper and more mysterious than the murky waters of the Florian triangle.

Yunlan was enchanted by those eyes, he nearly forgot to answer the stranger.

"Yes?" Yunlan replied, his body language showing calmness while in his face he wore the most innocent expression a man can have.

"May I have that?" it was said with a low and deep voice that seemed hollow yet warm at the same time. The voice of the man matched his physical appearance so well, one might think of perfection. "That is my possession, I dropped it from the third floor. "

"You mean this?" Yunlan said holding up the mask.
"So, that was you who I saw."

He approached the stranger confidently and handed him the mask. However, as the stranger pulled the other end of the mask Yunlan refused to let go causing the man to give Yunlan a wide eyed look of inquiry.

Yunlan smiled widely at the stranger's bewildered face.

"Mind telling me your name before you go?" He asked as he let go of the mask. "I'm Yunlan, Zhao Yunlan. "

He knew his eyes were pretty much boring holes through the stranger's face but he doesn't care. His wide, a little flirty, smile still in place he stared at the man waiting for a response. His hand waiting for a handshake.

The man seemed a little taken aback at first, but a small smile slowly curved on his face and his eyes became reflection of a very calm sea. "I know… My name is Shen wei."

As the man accepted his offered palm. Yunlan felt a strange tingling sensation that seemed to travel from his fingers to his heart. And as Shen wei looked at him, he felt a strange connection of having nothing to hide.