Might be More Than Just a Drama

Shen Wei has been in the entertainment industry for 10 years.

He's had his fair share of roles in dramas and series but he still haven't had that 'big break' which most of the popular stars would often talk about.

A lot of people have warned him against the idea of entering the entertainment industry.
"It's filled with uncertainties."
or
"It's not something someone as quiet as you should not undertake."
Those were just some of the things his friends had said. Nevertheless, he still enrolled in a course that would help him improve his acting skills.

Shen wei's lack of popularity is not due to poor acting skills. In fact, a lot of the people he had worked with before actually praised him for his superb acting skills.

The problem is, Shen wei is a very quiet person. Other than those moments when he is acting, Shen wei would always prefer to be left alone or to stay silent. 

This is why, during cast interviews Shen would always be overshadowed by the other characters. People, of course, prefer looking at those stars shining brightly.

The sound of the door opening brought Shen out of his stupor. The open door revealed Director Zhou jing Feng, his face painted with delight as he entered his office, chuckling.

Shen was surprised, he had only seen the director from the pictures on the newspaper. Never once was there a picture of the director smiling. His face was always adorned with a frown.

Shen had always considered it an honor to be in the presence of someone with such authority and charisma. At first, he never would have thought that he would be given this opportunity.

---

It was a week ago when Shen received a phone call from a production company. It was early in the morning and he had no plans that day.

He had answered the phone half asleep, agreeing to everything that was being stated.

Yesterday evening, he received an email saying that the meeting had been moved to 8 am in the morning. It was only then that Shen was able to process everything. SID, one of the most well-known production company, had contacted him to be a main character of a drama series that they are planning to produce.

Sleep alluded him that night. It was almost like the feeling he had when he was first casted for a film.

This morning, Shen had dressed himself  in a blue suit and round glasses. Not too extravagant but, enough to make a good impression. Although, it might have been a mistake.  It is still a chance and a job.

Shen arrived at the SID 10 minutes earlier than the meeting time

Shen arrived at the SID 10 minutes earlier than the meeting time. The secretary with whom he had spoken with was waiting for him at the entrance.

A lot of the company's employees were already at the office but none of them seem to be surprised by Shen's appearance.

Shen figured they are already used to actors and models walking around the agency that someone like him would be nothing special.

After arriving at the top floor where the director's office is located, the secretary showed him inside the director's office and after serving him a drink, the secretary left him to wait.

The office was no doubt bigger than all of the other offices Shen had been to before. The table and chair situated in front of the glass window were elegant. The curtain, sofas and decorations adorning the room are all made of rich materials, accenting the fact that this office is only for the best.
---

Shen wei stood up to greet the elder director who acknowledged him with a nod before making his way towards his own chair. As the director settled in his place, only then did Shen once again took his seat.

"Thank you for coming on such a short notice." the director said looking at Shen wei.

"No, I should be thanking you for giving me this opportunity." Shen wei answered with that professional smile he always keep to be used for business.

"This is Zhao Yunlan." the director motioned to the man who accompanied him when he entered his office. "He will also be playing as a main character in your drama."

Shen Wei felt overwhelmed upon hearing the director call the drama his. However, with 10 years of acting in his belt, he was able to mask that very well.

The introduction gave Shen Wei the opportunity to openly gaze at the man. He had been quite curious about the person who was able to make the uptight director smile.

Turning his head, his eyes met with a pair of twinkling chocolate eyes. Surprised, Shen Wei blinked and dropped his gaze.

The man was wearing a stripped gray suit however his body was completely laxed and casual. He was holding an open lollipop with his right hand and at the corners of his glossed lips tug a challenging smile. As if, silently asking Shen to speak up.

Unsure of how to react, Shen offered Yunlan his professional smile

Seeing the smile, Yunlan decided to take the initiative of an exchange. He popped the lollipop into his mouth, leaned forward and offered his right hand for a handshake. His eyes reflecting keen interest on the other actor's response.

"Nice to meet you, Shen wei…" Yunlan prolonged the name a little longer while giving him an appreciative once over before adding 'ge' to his greeting.

"Likewise"

Shen accepted the offered hand, almost failing to mask his surprise when he felt a rather coarse palm in contrast to the smooth creamy skin of other artist he had meet before.

After a few heartbeats Shen released his grip. However, Yunlan held onto his for a bit longer allowing his thumb to brush against Shen's knuckles before letting go.

Feeling the ghostly touch, Shen directed his gaze to the other man's face.  This time, instead of a suppressed smile, he was met with a grin and a very suggestive raise of eyebrows.

Surprised by the other actor's forwardness, Shen's stoic mask nearly broke however he was able to keep his cool.

"Zhao Yunlan is still pretty new in the entertainment industry but he's got the talent and skill, not to mention, the looks. I will be relying on you in guiding him." the director stated while looking at Shen.

"Yes sir." unable to voice his feelings, Shen gave the director a nod of agreement.

Hearing his response, the director called for his secretary to bring the papers and contract for the upcoming drama series that they need to discuss.

That night as Shen Wei lay on his bed, it was not his upcoming drama series that was bothering his mind, instead it was the cheeky face of Zhao Yunlan.

Shen wei has this sinking feeling that the months of filming would be longer if not shorter but he's pretty sure that today, he signed something that bound him to something more than just a drama series.