Thirteen

sherlock set his silverware on his now empty plate, smiling at him mother and thanking her again. he finished off his wine then wiped his mouth on his napkin, getting caught in a stare with mycroft. mycroft nudged sherlock with his foot, telling him to get on with it. so that's what sherlock did.

"so," sherlock cleared his throat, "you're probably wanting to know why i left." he looked between his parents. "the reason is that i just didn't want to be controlled." he looked at his mother. "the christmas i came home my last year in the states, you introduced me to that man and i didn't want to get married. i knew it was the best for me, but i just couldn't do it and i couldn't talk to you about it because i was afraid you'd hate me, so when i got back to the states i planned how i was going to run away. i'm really sorry, mum." sherlock felt tears begging to be released as he watched his mother. "i really, really am."

mrs. holmes reached across the table, covering her son's hand with hers, smiling at him. "it's okay, dear. it's been seven years. i'm not mad any more, i'm just glad your home and safe."

sherlock nodded, sniffling. "and i suppose you want to know what i've been doing these past years?" he asked, watching both his parents nod. "well, i lived on the streets for about half a year, before i started getting jobs, saving up a bit of cash so i could eat. i've always been the sneaking type and i discovered that pickpocketing was an easy and quick way of getting money." both his parents frowned. "i returned the wallet, i just took the cash. that was what i did and about a year later, i got a job at a diner and i've been working there since. i still stole things on the side, because i needed to get by and working at the diner just wasn't enough."

"we've all stolen things to get what we need." mr. holmes said to his son. "don't feel bad about it, i used to steal the sweets your mother used to get you boys since she never let me have any." he said a bit lowly, looking between his sons.

they were smiling as mrs. holmes stared at her husband with her arms folded over her chest. sherlock smiled at his parents, the emptiness inside him starting refill now that he had his family back and they weren't angry with him. they were happy he decided to come home.

"the last thing i want to explain is why i contacted you last friday." sherlock said. "i met a boy a few months back."

"the watson boy?" mr. holmes asked.

sherlock nodded. "we were seeing each other in secret because he was supposed to be in line to marry a successful business man, but neither of us wanted to happen. after a fight between him and his mother, they decided to have me over for dinner and i knew that they weren't thrilled about their son having relations with a low life like i was, so i told them the truth. that i was a holmes." sherlock looked at his mother. "he's amazing and when i get home i plan on asking for his hand in marriage."

mrs. holmes let out a cry of joy, getting up out of her seat and hugging her youngest tightly. "oh i'm so thrilled!" she said happily.

sherlock laughed softly, pulling away from his mother and smiling up at her.

"god knows we're never going to get a wedding out of myc." she looked at her eldest.

mycroft gave his usual weak smile. "yes, well, in order for that someone would have to like me."

"or it's the fact that you refuse to have any human contact." their mother said. "locking yourself up in that office all day." she muttered as she went into the kitchen to fetch dessert.

while they ate the amazing chocolate cake mrs. holmes prepared, they spoke like a family. they joked around, smiled and laughed. it was a good night and sherlock was happy to be home. he never thought that he would be able to sit at the dining table again or sit in the living room and listened to his father ramble on about equations and then his mother telling him to sit down because she had enough of his nonsense. then they had a nice discussion and sherlock told his parents about john, smiling like a fool as he described his lover.

"i'd love to meet him." mrs. holmes said to her son with a smile.

"maybe in a few weeks." sherlock said. "you and dad could come to london and we could take you out."

"that would be amazing, dear."

"that would be fantastic!" mr. holmes piped in. "we haven't been there in years! we can go to the museums and go to that one place with the fantastic fish and chips!"

mrs. holmes patted her husbands knee. "calm down, harold."

sherlock chuckled. "we can plan something then." he said then checked his phone, seeing a text from john.

I miss you. I want to hear your voice before I go to bed.

sherlock stood, tucking his phone into his pocket. "i'm gonna turn in for the night."

mrs. holmes got up quickly. "hug before you go."

sherlock chuckled, giving his mother a hug. "i'll see you in the morning."

"oh, i know." mrs. holmes let go of her son, looking up at him. "i just want to make sure you're really here."

"i am, mum." he kissed her cheek. "goodnight. night, dad." he said and smiled at his father before heading to the stair case.

once sherlock changed, he settled into bed, feeling a bit odd as he stared up at the glow in the dark stars glued onto his ceiling. he reached for his phone on the nightstand, calling john as he heard his parents walk past his bedroom, the floor board still creaking in the same spot past his door. it was weird laying his childhood bed with his brother in the room across from his and his parents all the way at the end of the hall.

"hey," john's groggy voice came from the other end.

"did i wake you?" sherlock asked softly.

"no, no. i just dozed off a bit."

"so i woke you up."

"i wanted you to call, so it's fine."

"it's nearly twelve. you're not one to go to bed this early."

john whined softly. "i've had a long day. and a little too much to drink at dinner."

sherlock chuckled. "is irene still there?"

"no, she had to go home. i think they're going somewhere out of the country." john yawned softly. "you should facetime me. i wanna see your face."

"hold on a second." sherlock said then hung up. he reached over to his desk and turned on the lamp so he could have some light as the call connected with john. he smiled down at the somewhat blurred image of the boy. "so that's where my grey jumper went." he lay back down.

john smiled. "it's very comfortable. and it looks better on me so..."

sherlock laughed. "a lot of things look better on you so you're not wrong."

john hummed, sinking further into his comforter. "when will you be home?"

"i would say wednesday evening since i left today and instead of saturday. that way i'd still spend a week here." sherlock admired the image of john barely able to keep his eyes open.

"could i wait for you at your flat?" john's eyes closed completely.

"you can always wait for me there."

a sleepy smile spread across the face on the screen.

"hang up and go to sleep, baby."

john shook his head. "today was the first time i spoke to you in six days. i'm not hanging up."

sherlock laughed softly. he moved a pillow, setting his phone up against it so he didn't have to hold it, but still look at the boy. "hey, john." he said softly.

"hmmm?"

"i love you."

john smiled, cheeks getting red as he nuzzled into his pillow. "i love you, too." he muttered into his pillow.

"what was that?" sherlock asked with a knowing grin.

john lifted his head up some. "i love you, too!" he said a little loudly before shoving his face into his pillow again.

sherlock chuckled softly, smiling to himself. he was a fool in love.