Chapter 20

Writer's note-
Hello again everyone, most of my readers are located in Asia so it's already Wednesday over there by the time I post this chapter, even if it's still Tuesday for me.

Remember to vote!

#

"Did you hear that?" I said.

Mike groaned from behind me, only pressing closer against my backside and still half asleep.

Mike has been right about his bed being bigger than mine. The Egyptian cotton sheets and downy blanket along with the king size bed made me feel like the bed was endless. But it hasn't mattered how big the bed was. As soon as Mike dressed down to his boxers and we got ready to sleep he was spooning me from behind seemingly happy to be pressed up against me, breaths ghosting over the back of my neck.

We'd spent the evening quietly. For whatever reason Mike took pleasure in the simple things. We laid on the couch together, my head in Mike's lap as he played with my hair and told me about his day.

It was awkward at first, lying my head down on Mike's thighs. I wasn't sure if he wanted anything more but after the entryway fiasco he hadn't done much other than kiss me.

I felt good when we made our way to his bed. Like for the first time in the past four months that I could breathe. That things were going back on track and that maybe this could be my life. Maybe it would be fewer hours at the tattoo shop, focusing on my painting, being with my friends and being with Mike. Maybe I'd paint a picture of Detective Hodgins for Roe. It could be nice.

And then I heard something.

I woke up startled, forgetting where I was and who I was with for a dangerous moment. The room was dark and unfamiliar, sheets a lot softer than my own. I tensed and Mike exhaled heavily, stirring in his sleep.

And then I heard it again, a dry thud and then something like a slam. I turned to Mike and his lips were parted in sleep, thigh heavy against mine as he shifted.

"Did you hear that?" I said again, trying to shake Mike awake as I sat up.

Mike woke up slowly, opening his grey eyes. I could barely see him in the dark and I found myself afraid. I gripped his thigh, pressing my fingers into the warm muscle there.

"Please tell me you hear that." I whispered.

Thump thump slam.

Mike inhaled softly, reaching across the bed and turning on the bedside light. His hair was messy and there were pillow creases on his face but he got up quickly, moving his hand under the bed and removing a bat.

"Damn, okay." I said, not at all expecting that.

Mike grinned, putting a finger by his lips and getting up to leave his bedroom. I followed him out as we toured the house, turning on light after light. The house was big for a single person; four bedrooms and three bathrooms, a massive kitchen and - wow he really had two ovens.

We went down the stairs to the soundtrack of my beating heart and I don't know what I was expecting but I definitely expected something.

By the time we'd gotten to the front door, it was quiet. I approached the door, seeing a shadow there. My heart was in my throat, my heart beating erratically as a bead of sweat trailed down between my shoulder blades.

I whipped the door open. I was greeted by the cool darkness of night as cold air whooshed into the house. I shivered, not understanding anything. There was nothing there. My shoulders unclenched and I stepped out into the night, narrowing my eyes and looking around. I swore I saw-