Final Writer's Note

I guess this is the end. I'm going to go back and edit and change a few things, lool.

But also there are a few of you on here who in different ways motivated or encouraged me without even realizing it. Maybe it was through messaging, commented or being a consistent reader for the past four months. Regardless, it meant a lot. So thank you!!!!!!

Everything after this point is just basically my ramblings and thought processes while writing.  maybe that'll spoil the 'magic' of the story for you, idk. I don't know if I would call it a spoiler since you know....if you're reading this you've read everything else.

#

Personal thoughts on the story:

I'm okay at writing but there are problems I personally had with the story. The premise and beginning are strong but perhaps I'm not creative enough because the middle dragged and the stalker angle quite frankly wasn't it.  D&M getting together felt a little fast, I wanted to draw it out a little more but that clearly didn't happen. After them getting together I needed to add another point of tension, so Derrick's back story was added. The stalker thing was a little extra I guess.

That being said Derrick always had that same backstory I just wasn't sure if I was going to explain it and go into detail.

I wanted to add tension somehow and I thought that was a good way to do it without involving a love triangle of some sort. I don't care for love triangles because I either think they're dumb or they should be polyam. We never got to see a jealous Mike, idk if that's an angle worth looking into. Perhaps in future?

Mike being an alcoholic seems to have been received with mixed results, but I think that he would really be an alcoholic where his urge to binge stems from an effort to escape from his situation/ thoughts. Many adopted kids struggle with identity issues and finding a sense of belonging. It makes sense that he tries to quell those feelings with drinking.

And Mike isn't perfect. This is just one of his flaws.

The magic implications were inconsistent and upon rewriting I'll probably try to inject it into more places.

Anyone who's gotten this far knows that the twist was the fact Derrick has been slowly getting sick, since the very beginning. This was my way integrating the Reddit prompt bc there is a moment when Derrick does curse Mike without realizing it. Did you catch it beforehand?

Relationship Flaws:

There are things in their relationship which I thought were important. Mike can be needy, self sacrificing and insecure. Derrick can be selfish, aloof and insecure. These are the things which make their relationship somewhat dysfunctional. When Mike needs validation, or emotional support, those are things Derrick struggles to give. Derrick is always thinking he doesn't deserve Mike and this idea goes from a background thought to an all encompassing obsession that reaches its culmination after the Christmas chapter.

That being said, the two of them were always meant to break up. If this were a manga then it wouldn't matter if Derrick is greedy and Mike is selfless. But it isn't a manga, lol.

D&M Love Songs:

On a final note, there are songs that I associate with how these characters feel about love.

For Derrick, he's slow to love and isn't exactly comfortable with caring about someone. This is the song I think of for him. The lyrics are very important!

The song is called "Being Alive" from the musical company.

Someone to hold me too close.
Someone to hurt me too deep.
Someone to sit in my chair,
And ruin my sleep,
And make me aware,
Of being alive.
Being alive.

Somebody need me too much.
Somebody know me too well.
Somebody pull me up short,
And put me through hell,
And give me support,
For being alive.
Make me alive.
Make me alive.

Make me confused.
Mock me with praise.
Let me be used.
Vary my days.

But alone,
Is alone,
Not alive.

Somebody crowd me with love.
Somebody force me to care.
Somebody let me come through,
I'll always be there,
As frightened as you,
To help us survive,
Being alive.
Being alive.
Being alive!

Mike's type of love is less complicated, lol. Kehlani's honey fits well since Mike is always falling for these weird people like Cheryl and Derrick. As much as you guys don't like Cheryl, her and Derrick are pretty similar. Cheryl is essentially slightly more selfish and a lot more arrogant.

Lyrics:

I like my girls just like I like my honey, sweet, A little selfish
I like my women like I like my money, green
A little jealous
'Cause I'm a beautiful wreck
A colorful mess, but I'm funny
Oh, I'm a heartbreak vet
With a stone-cold neck, yeah, I'm charming
All the pretty girls in the world
But I'm in this space with you
Colored out the line
I came to find, my fire was fate with you
Heartache would stay with you
Fly great escapes with you
I countdown to the clock, saw you awake
Don't walk away, or would you wait for me?
I go out to the bar, fuck hanging with the stars
Don't even have a car, but you would wait for me
Mmhmmm
All, all, all, all the pretty girls in the world
But I'm in this space with you
Colored out the line, I came to find, my fire was fate with you
My heartache would stay with you, escape with you
I like my girls just like I like my honey, sweet
A little selfish, huh
I like my women like I like my money, green
A little jealous
Oh, I'm a beautiful wreck
A colorful mess, but I'm funny
Oh, I'm a heartbreak vet
With a stone-cold neck, I'm so charming, oh, oh
Do do doot do do
La la la...
Do do doot do do
Do do doot do do
Is it love all we need? Is it love?...
To be the same prophesy? Is it love?...
Do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti, is it love?...
Love
Do do doot do do

Final Questions:

This is the last time I'll ask you guys any questions, aha.

What did you really think of the story?

I think the sequel would focus on Derrick's new life in his new apartment, making new friends, focusing on art, and doing the occasional tattoo. Derrick is now in a place in his life where he isn't sure whether or not to pursue Mike but he's matured somewhat since we've last seen him. He also has a magic handler and the magic federation is constantly asking him to join the council of warlocks and witches  even though he doesn't want to.

In the potential sequel Mike would probably have been promoted and he's house hunting because he doesn't want to live in his old house anymore. He's probably dated a few people, boys, girls, whatever catches his eye. But he doesn't take any of them to visit his family...

I guess it would focus on Derrick trying to date people, realizing Mike is the only one for him and trying to seduce Mike. I wonder how that would work? 🌚

Any questions about anything that wasn't clear or you want my input on as far as characters or story or plot?

But forreal, thank you guys so much for reading! It's your reads and support that pushed me to continue and finish this story. It's officially the second novel length work I've written and also the longest. Thank you all. ❤️❤️

-RM