Chapter 24

Writer's Note- I know I promised a demographic update for every thousand reads but I'm a little tired today so keep an eye out for it when Ch. 25 comes out.

But also- 4000 reads!!!!!!!! Very exciting!!!!!!! It means a lot to me, thank you all so much for being dedicated. I hope you all know I write this story for you (and me, but mostly you). Idk if you guys are getting tired of the story yet but there's probably going to be at least 15-20 more chapters so bear with me.

#

"Do we have to get a Christmas tree?" I complained, looking around the holiday section of the store. The shelves were high with all kinds of winter wonderland decor. Gaudy reds, greens, yellows, silvers and blues jumped out at me.

We continued down the aisle slowly, Mike pushing the cart around and between other shoppers. Bing Crosby was singing a holiday song through the tinny speakers and it occurred to me this moment was close to perfect. Me, Mike and and all the possibilities.

The cart was high with ugly Christmas sweaters, fairy lights, mistletoe, wreathes and other assorted decorations. "Yes Derrick. What's Christmas without a Christmas tree?"

I rolled my eyes briefly, wondering why Mike was trying so hard. His Christmas spirit seemed to flicker on as soon as December hit. He'd surprised me with a truffle filled advent calendar counting down the days until Christmas. I didn't even know why he bought a magic imbued Christmas calendar. He'd scratched off the price tag but I searched it up online and it was way more than I was expecting it to be.

Every now and then I wondered if Mike was trying to fatten me up, what with all the baking and the sweets. The calendar suggested to me that he thought I was too thin but considering he never said anything I could be overreacting.

"Right. Right. Right." I said absently, looking at the price tags of these various items. Yikes, this was looking steep.

"We can string lights on the balcony, blow up a frosty there. I've made a Christmas playlist already with Shakira's greatest hits. Tinsel." Mike paused, "We need tinsel." he started steering the cart and I touched his wrist lightly.

I looked at him, "What is this really about?"

Mike looked down at me, face softening briefly. "I want you to have a good Christmas. I just want to rewrite all those bad memories so that you can enjoy Christmas again. Before... In high school," he hesitated, "You used to love Christmas. At least that's what you told me. I'm not asking you to love it again but I'll try to make it perfect for you." He said it like he could beat Christmas into submission for me and serve it up on a silver platter with a side of eggnog.

I gasped softly, "You don't have to do that."

"I want to, Derrick. This is one thing I can do...So, I will."

"Okay, but I do have one request." I said suddenly.

"Anything." Mike breathed, having stopped the cart in the side of an aisle of Holiday scented candles.

I smiled, "Tell me what you want for Christmas."

Mike shrugged a shoulder shyly, "I don't need anything, Derrick." He started pushing the cart again, picking up an atrocious pair of Christmas stockings.

I let the subject go for now, "What should we get for Roe?"

Mike hesitated, "We're getting her something?"

"Of course we are." I said, "I'm thinking maybe I'll do some Detective Hodgins fan art. And the author is doing a read through and signing in a couple weeks. We should take her." Somehow Roe had gotten my number and she tried to FaceTime me at the oddest times. She would go into long stilted stories about kindergarten or spongebob. Lately, however she'd been down because someone let it slip that the creator of Spongebob had passed away so she thought there'd be no more new episodes.