ONE | the rescue mission

Two more months passed, and Vince and his spies finally found out where Minho and the other immunes were being taken to.

We held many more meetings then, each one longer than the previous one, trying to devise a plan to rescue our friend. After Teresa's betrayal, Vince would only let a few trusted people in on the plan just in case there was a traitor hiding among us, waiting to report our plans to WICKED, but thankfully, everyone here seemed to be fairly trustworthy as we seemed to still be under the radar from WICKED.

A week later, we finally formed the plan, and I must admit, it was shit. But it was better than no plan at all.

Finally, the day we perform our plan came. Minho and the other immunes, including Aris and Sonya, were being moved to another part of WICKED's facilities today and hopefully, we will be able to rescue Minho before the train reaches its destination.

A nervous sort of excitement and anticipation coursed through me as Vince led us to the garage.

"Get into your teams," he instructed, walking over to the truck at the back of the room. "And take your pick. I choose this one."

"Oh, of course you choose the best one," Newt said, rolling his eyes. "If that's the case then Rose, Felix and I will take this one."

He went over to the truck in the middle and clambered into the driver's seat, gesturing to me. I stored our equipment in the back of the truck and got in after him in the shotgun's seat. Felix double-checked that he had all his weapons with him, then clambered into the back seat as Newt started the engine. 

The others got into their trucks with their respective partners and together, we started the engines and drove out the garage and out The Right Arm base, waving to familiar faces as we shot through the town.

"Good luck!" Some of them called out to us.

When we drove out of the base and got onto the main road that would take us to the train, Newt floored the pedal and we shot through the Scorch, leaving the others behind in the dust. Newt glanced over to me, a crazy grin on his face while I whooped excitedly.

I helped Newt read the map as he drove while Felix constantly checked his watch to make sure we were on schedule. Whenever I glanced back at him, he would wear the same nervous expression every time, probably anticipating seeing his friends again.

After about an hour, we finally spotted the train tracks and Newt slowed down the truck. He drove for a few more miles and came to a stop behind two large boulders, obscuring the vehicle from view.

"Alright, grab your stuff," Newt said as he opened the door and stepped out. "And prepare for a bloody wild rescue ride."

We each rummaged through the back of the truck and snatched up our equipments, then crouched behind the boulders and peered at the train tracks, waiting.

Newt took out his walkie-talkie and spoke through it: "How's it lookin', guys?"

"We're on the way," came Thomas' crackling voice through the machine.

"Hurry up," came Jorge's gruff voice. "Brenda and I are already here. You're late."

I heard the unmistakable whirring and groaning of a train and felt the ground tremble beneath me. I peered around the boulder and spotted the silhouette of a locomotive thundering down the train tracks, getting closer every second.

"It's here," I announced to Newt and Felix. "Get ready."

As the train neared, I spotted two familiar-looking trucks driving down on either side of it, their wheels kicking up dust as they struggled to catch up. A tiny figure - it was Brenda - shot at the driver's window while Thomas and Vince disappeared behind the train's tail.