EIGHT | the plan

Gally forced us to attend a meeting the next day. Last night - or early in the morning, whatever - he had snuck in Thomas and Newt into the very edge of the city and shown them the potential way into WICKED's headquarters. I had asked Newt about how the experience had went the next morning and was instead, disappointed by his lack of enthusiasm in his responses. 

I kept asking him if he was alright, if something had happened when he snuck in the city with Thomas and Gally, but he was very evasive about it. Almost as if he didn't want me knowing about something. Like he was hiding something.

When Newt wasn't around, I confronted Thomas and asked him in private if anything bad had happened to Newt, but apparently nothing significant did. Thomas did admit though, that Newt had been acting weird lately, and that sent a jolt of worry through me.

"I'm sure he's fine," Thomas comforted me when he noticed the afflicted look on my face. "We'll ask him later, alright? Right now, we need to head to Gally's meeting. I think we're forming a plan now."

"Okay," I said reluctantly, and followed him to the meeting room atop the roof of the compounds. But I couldn't help thinking that something was very wrong with Newt. And that something was related to his infection.

-

"You want to get in? Teresa's the best - and probably our only way - to do it," Gally said, standing at one end of the table. Thomas, who stood on the other end, furrowed his eyebrows in what looked like a mix of anger and denial.

"From what I've gathered she's one of Ava's most trusted partners now," Gally continued. "So she'll most likely have access to some of the security. We find a way to bring her to us and we can force her to disable some of the security devices to sneak us in there. And remove our stupid tags from WICKED at the same time."

"Sounds good," Brenda said.

"Anyone else have any input on that?" 

"Are you sure that's the only way we can get in?" Thomas asked.

"Well, from what I've planned so far, yes. Why?"

"It's just..." Thomas wrung his hands in frustration. "This plan seems a bit... I don't know, unstable."

"Unstable," Gally said flatly. "And how so, Greenie?"

When Thomas didn't answer, he said, "Look, I don't know what's going on in that shuck brain of yours, so if you have another plan then spit it out. But I'm gonna repeat what I'd said - Teresa's our best plan."

"No, there's gotta be another way," Thomas said stubbornly.

"Like what?" Gally demanded. "You've seen the building - she is our only way in."

"You really think she's gonna help us?"

"I don't plan on asking for her permission," Gally said sarcastically.