FOURTEEN | promise me

The night had finally come. It was time to rescue Minho.

Gally was stressed to the max, rushing and stumbling around the room and making sure we knew what the plan was. Though all of us were ready, he seemed the most paranoid and frustrated, which I found pretty ironic and funny, despite the grave situation.

"Calm down, Gally," Newt said as the boy helped him suit up his WICKED uniform frantically.

"Calm down, what d'ya mean, calm down?" Gally glared at him. "You do realize that if this plan fails - that's it, it's over, right?"

"Yeah, but worrying so much like that isn't going to help," Thomas piped up from the corner of the room. He, too, was putting on the WICKED guard uniform that Teresa had stolen for us a few days prior. "We'll be fine, just slim it."

"Walkie talkie, or gun?" Brenda asked me as we stood by her bedside.

"Gun," I answered immediately.

"Damnit," she muttered under her breath, and pulled out a pistol from her pocket. She tossed it to me and I caught it, smirking.

"Guess I'm responsible for protecting you then," I said, nudging her playfully.

"You'd better do a good job at it, Rose, or I'll kill you before WICKED does."

"I'll keep that in mind."

When Gally was done helping Newt suit up, he went over to Thomas, but the latter waved him away, making it clear he was still wary of the guy. Gally didn't seemed to care too much as he picked up his own uniform and suited up immediately. Teresa pulled on her formal jacket and Frypan made sure his walkie talkie was functioning properly.

"Everyone got their stuff?" Gally asked around once he was done suiting up. "Good. Now let's go."

He led us out the underground base and into the town outside, where we descended down into the sewers once more, probably for the last time ever. I zipped up my hoodie and tied my hair up into a high ponytail; I didn't want my hair strands blinding me as I ran for my life.

We ran down the train tracks in pairs, Gally going first with Teresa, then Brenda and Frypan, then me and Newt. Thomas volunteered to go last.

"You alright?" I asked Newt when it was our turn. I was a little concerned as he had been coughing a little when we were walking along the sewer tunnels.

"Yeah," he replied, though I knew he was lying judging from the croak in his voice.

"Are you sure-?"

"I'm fine," he said, a little too harshly. I recoiled a little and his face softened. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay," I said softly. "Tell me if the pain gets too unbearable, yeah?"

I grabbed his hand, squeezing it in an attempt to comfort him, and at Gally's signal, we ran down the train tracks together, our heartbeats quickening along with our pace. The familiar rumbling train noises echoed down the tunnel, and I poured on speed, dragging Newt with me.

"Come on!" I called out to him. He stumbled a bit and I grasped his arm to steady him; we continued running. The train appeared into view, and we leaped to the side and climbed up the metal railings just as the train zipped past us with a terrifying whoosh.

As soon as the locomotive disappeared at the other end of the tunnel, Thomas started running towards us, his strides hurried. I felt the tunnel walls tremble around me and heard the next incoming train - Thomas ran faster, his legs whirling into a blur as they sped up, beads of perspiration clinging onto his head for dear life. Finally he made it to us and leaped onto the metal railings, the next train only a few metres away. He hung on as it shot pass, and when it was gone we helped him climb up into the tunnel with us.