NINE | advice

Thomas and I were laying next to each other on his mattress in the large room.

Newt was taking a nap on his own bed in the corner, Frypan went to scrounge for food, and Brenda and Jorge accompanied Gally to talk to Lawrence. So that left me and Thomas alone.

We talked with each other for what seemed like hours even though it had probably only been several minutes. I told him stories of the Glade before he had arrived, about how everything was just a mass of confusion and chaos at first before Alby and Nick stepped in to take charge. I told him about how I was elected to be Med-jack - somehow - and how I moved up to Keeper position because of the unexpected attack on Frederick by George. I told him about the time Newt kissed me for the first time and confessed like the awkward bean he was, and how I started to develop feelings for him since then. I told him about how Chuck used to tease the two of us endlessly when he found out that Newt and I were together in that annoying yet endearing way of his.

"Sounds like you really miss the Glade," Thomas said.

"Yeah," I said softly. "Yeah, I really do. I mean, it wasn't the best place to be in, but comparing it to everything we've seen and been through after escaping the Maze..."

"The Glade sounds like an amusement park now."

"Pretty much."

Thomas nodded towards Newt's sleeping form on his bed.

"So... since when did he start acting weird?" He asked.

I frowned slightly, not really liking the change in topic. "I don't know, when we were first escorted to this room, I guess. That was when I found out he was... you know."

Infected. The cursed word that unfortunately described Newt's current predicament perfectly.

"Well..." Thomas hesitated. "If he ever acts abnormally again, you tell me, alright? I'm worried about him."

"Me too," I said quietly. "But you know he hates it when we try to protect him like this. Even if he's been stabbed 28 times and is openly bleeding all over, he'll still somehow manage to say he's fine."

Thomas snorted with laughter. "That's true." He turned his head and gave me a small, sad smile. "And besides, I'm not stupid, I know he'll hate us for trying to protect him, but I just... I just can't help but want to watch out for him."

"I know."

We remained silent for a while, our gazes moving from each other back to Newt.

"Are you ready for the plan?" I asked.

Thomas bowed his head, fidgeting with the hem of his shirt.

"No," he said quietly. "Not at all. But Newt's right. Th-This mission is about saving Minho. It's not about her. She's literally the reason why he's with WICKED right now. I should've got that through my shuck brain earlier."

"Hey, it's not your fault," I said gently, placing my hand on his. "You know it isn't. I know that you used to be really close to Teresa. It's not your fault if you can't help but still feel connected to her."

Thomas looked at me, the corners of his lips twitching. "How is it that you always know what to say?"

A small laughter rose up my throat, and I glanced towards Newt's sleeping form from across the room. "I learned from the best, I guess."

"You know... I really envy your relationship with Newt sometimes," Thomas said wistfully.

"Oh... why?"

"I mean, you two had lots of time to know and hang out with each other in the Glade. Teresa and I... well, we were mostly just running for our lives when we were together. I mean, I know we were close friends before the Maze, but after getting our memories wiped, it just... it just doesn't feel the same, you know? And not to mention that you and Newt know where you stand. I can't say I'm with Teresa, but at the same time, I know the two of us has some sort of feelings for each other. I-It's complicated..."