Chapter 9

We chatted as we ate. The soup she made was wonderful. We had drank almost half of the bottle. Christine had drunk most of it.

"Christine, this soup is wonderful. I could eat it everyday for every meal!"

I wasn't lying. I could've. It warmed my entire body as it went down my throat.

"Oh Erik, it's just chicken soup! Nothing more, nothing less. The same soup one's mother would make when they were ill.."

She became tense as she had finished her sentence. She knew my

mother and I had no relationship. In fact she had feared me. Her own child! All because of my face. I let what she said go. She was drinking wine. I ignored it completely.

"Really though dear, it is very good! This wine I picked. Mmm it pairs perfectly don't you think so?

It is very good. Speaking of, may I have another glass if it's not too much trouble for you my love?

For you, nothing is too much Christine."

I took the bottle in my hand, got up and poured a small glass for her. She had been drinking quite a bit. I went back to my side of the table, poured a small glass for myself and went back to my meal. It was very delicious. So warm. So flavorful. I looked up from my soup for a moment and caught Christine watching me. She had an entranced look on her face. I furrowed my brow at her.

"I like watching you Erik, you're very graceful. The way you move it's like a feather through the air. Very beautiful."

She said in a low smooth tone and I felt my face flush. She kept her eyes on me. I put my spoon down, done with my first serving

"Did you want more soup?

I can serve myself Christine."

I protested. She had done enough just by cooking.

"But Erik, I want to. Isn't that what I'm supposed to do?

Christine, you're my guest.

I live here now, and I cooked!"

I thought about what she had said "I live here now." Before I could protest she took my bowl and refilled it. I watched her with a protective eye. She set my bowl in front of me with a gentle smile on her face. I watched her drag her chair towards my end of the table with a little grin on my face.

"Are you so attached to me already Christine?"

I chuckled at her.

"Of course! We've been apart for so long, I've grown weary of it."

With a smile on my face I shook my head at her and placed my hand over hers. It was so small compared to mine. So frail looking. I ate more quickly this time so we would have more time to do whatever she pleased. As I ate she had another glass of wine, which she sucked down as if it were water. I chuckled at her. Apparently she wasn't a big drinker. Parties and dinner was the only time she drank. She made a face and I could tell the wine had taken over. It was time for her to get to sleep.

"Christine, my love. I'll wash the dishes. Why don't we get you to bed?

Mmm, but Erik that's my job! I'm to clean cook and see you to bed!"

Her voice was warm and smooth. The wine had gotten to her quickly.

"Well you cooked a delicious meal, set a wonderful table and served me like a king. The least I could do for you, my angel is clean up and see you to bed.

If you insist Erik!"

I stood up and pulled her chair for her. She stumbled a bit and I chuckled caught her.

"My dear, I think you've had a bit too much to drink this evening.

Perhaps you're right maybe it is best if I get to bed dear."

I smiled as I led her to her room with a candle in hand. She leaned against me, I was practically carrying her. As we entered her room I lit a small candelabra and blew the small candle out. I caught her watching me do this with a gentle smile on her face. I let it go and led her to her bed.

"Oh, wait you must change into your night clothes, I'll go..."

I turned to leave and she caught me by the arm.

"No! Wait, it's alright stand in the doorway with your back to me. Just resist turning to look.

Are you sure that's appropriate Christine?

I'm sure Erik. My bag is right there, will you hand it to me?

Of course."

I did as she asked and walked towards to doorway. I turned to the front room. My body grew tense. My hands started to shake and sweat.