Chapter 4

"Christine, you don't know how I've longed to hear your voice. I-I contemplated coming to your house and sitting outside your window just to hear you. I almost did, but I wanted to let you go. I never could. Oh, Christine this is much better than just hearing you! Raoul? What has Raoul done to you?"

I pulled away from her embrace to look at the sadness on her face. I held her small shoulder with my hand. With the other one that furiously shook I caressed her face and wiped her tears. Had he been abusing her? As the thought ran through my head I could feel my expression change. I was concerned for my Christine. But anger and hatred towards that man. The Vicomte de Changy who everyone thinks is so perfect.

"Later Erik, I don't want to upset you right now. We've just been reunited.

I understand, shall we go to my home? You look tired, coming here took courage and must've taken a lot of energy out of you."

She did look very tired. There were dark circles under her eyes. Here eyes that shined even in the dark. Her eyes that I had dreamt about for so many nights.She nodded, I took her small hand in mine in the other her bag and we went to her old dressing room. I turned to her and she curiously looked at me.

"It's the least cramped way to get there."

I explained to her in a soft voice.

"Oh, I see."

I felt her eyes on me as I opened the mirror that served as the door. I turned to her, to make sure she was still there. This all still felt like a very vivid dream. I could feel my face get hot as I reached for the lantern that I kept in the tunnel and lit it. She looked at me, a puzzled look on her face. Quickly her expression changed .to a bright smile that sent a warm feeling through my entire body. I grasped her tiny frail hand in mine again and led her through the winding tunnels that were so familiar to me I could've found my way through them I'm pitch black darkness.

"Erik?

Yes my l- Christine?"

I caught myself.

"Are you the only one who knows about the tunnels? Besides Raoul and I? No an old friend of mine and Madame Giry know.

Who's this friend?

In time my dear. But I suspect Madame Giry is the one who brought Raoul through the tunnels...."

I told her in a calm tone trying to hold back the sound of disdain for Raoul.

"Why does she know? Were you friends?

Yes I suppose so. She delivered my messages to everyone. She made sure my location and my existence stayed unknown. Nobody except you, Madame Giry, Meg, my old friend, and I guess Raoul were sure I existed. And maybe everyone that had seen me on stage that night."

I turned to her to gauge her reaction. She seemed to be taking it in well. No sign of fear was on her face. We had come to the lake. She climbed in the boat and I watched her ready to catch her if she fell or dive into the water and save her if it was necessary. I handed her the lantern and her bag. She scooted to the front of the small boat, attached the lantern to it as I climbed in and lifted the small weight. We slowly crossed the lake. My nervous hands rowing.