Chapter 19

I woke before Christine, I wanted everything to be ready very early. She was anxious to get married and so was I! There were butterflies in my stomach. I wrote Christine a note telling her where I had gone and giving her directions to her dressing room so she could freshen up. After I finished I practically ran through the tunnels and through the streets to see Daroga. My heart was filled with joy the few people that were in the alleys stared at me. I payed them no mind, for I was in love! The cafe was in sight, I sprinted towards it and ran inside.

"Daroga!?"

I called. The other workers looked up at me and back down.

"Erik? What the matter? Is everything alright?

Daroga, everything is perfect! She said yes! She said yes Daroga I'm engaged!

What? So soon!? Why have you come here Erik?

Because, she wanted to be married right away. Isn't it fantastic?

So, you want me t-

Yes. Daroga, will you marry us?"

I looked at him hopefully.

"Of course Erik, you are like a brother to me. When?

Will you come shopping with me now and then go back to the Opera Populaire?

So soon?

She was very eager!

Well, I guess I can. Only for you. Aneta, I'm leaving. You take over. You can manage that can't you?

Of course Monisuer."

We left the cafe and swiftly walked to the busier side of the alley.

"Daroga, if I give you the money with you buy thirty ounces of rose petals and a bouquet from the flower shop?

Why so many?

You'll see."

I gave him one hundred francs and we went our separate ways. I trotted to the dress shop and ran inside.

"Bonjour, what can I help you with Monsieur?

Bonjour, I need a wedding dress. Here is my fiancés size, show me everything you have?

Of course Monsieur!"

She didn't question my mask, she just guided me to the wedding dresses in Christine's size. There was one made of lace and silk. It was perfect. The veil was beautiful.

"This is the one.

Alright Monsieur. I'll get it ready for you.

Merci!"

I payed for the dress and ran from the shop to find Daroga. People again stared wide-eyed at me as I ran through the street. When I came to the flower shop I looked through the window and saw Daroga paying for the flowers. He turned to me and grinned. I motioned for him to hurry. He ran from the shop and we jogged to the Opera house. When we arrived we ran to my home. I wrote another note to Christine, put it in her room along with the dress and the bouquet. Daroga put the sack of petals at my desk.

"Daroga help yourself to anything I'm going to fetch Christine!"

I went to her dressing room. She was in the bathroom. I stood in the doorway my back turned.

"Christine? Are you decent? Daroga is waiting for us, I have a dress for you and flowers. Everything a bride would need.

I'll be decent in just a moment Erik!"

She called to me.

"You can come in, don't be shy."

As I entered I knocked on the doorframe. She was wrapped in a towel smiling wide at me. My eyes grew wide and my face red.

"I thought you said you were decent?"

I looked at the floor, the sink, the bathtub. Anything but her.

"I'm covered, for now. But I will have to get dressed so we can go back. So, if you don't want to see anything you may want to shut your eyes."

I snapped my eyes shut. After a moment she brought my hands to her waist, there was soft fabric clinging to her damp skin. I opened my eyes and smiled at her adoringly. She was so beautiful.

"Ahh, Christine. I will never know what I did to deserve you, but I'm so glad I did it!"

I kissed her nose and she giggled.

"Lets go, you must get ready for our wedding!"

And with that we rushed to our little home.