Chapter 18

Christine looked up at me, a bit shocked. The tears flowed, but I was extremely happy.

"Erik? Are you alright? What's wrong!?

Yes Christine, I'm perfect. I've never been so happy! My mother had once told me I would never find love and look! Look what has happened! I'm to have a beautiful bride despite this."

I motioned to myself and she gave me a sad smile.

"Erik, you are the most handsome man I have ever known. And I mean that."

I looked at her with happiness in my eyes. She pulled me close and kissed my mangled cheek. I pulled her close and wrapped my arms around her. As we sat I enjoyed her company and thought about the future. Knowing that this would be my future. After a moment we heard hissing and sizzling. Our heads flickered to the soup that was boiling over.

"Damn!"

I muttered as we sprung up and walked towards the pot. I took it from the fire to let it stop boiling.

"Well, we know it's hot."

I chuckled at her and shook my head as I kissed her. She strolled to the cabinets and got two bowls, two spoons and a ladle. I thought water would suffice with the soup tonight as I came back with a glass jug of it. Christine agreed water was fine. Tonight we dined on the sofa, holding each other tight.

"Erik?

Hmm, yes Christine?

When can we get married?"

This surprised me, I thought she'd want to wait a while.

"Well, you're very eager aren't you? If you wanted we could get married tomorrow. I could go see Daroga, who is also an ordained minister and he will come back with me and marry us if you'd like. I also have money for a dress as well if you'd like that."

Her face lit up as I said this. I smiled at her.

"Really tomorrow!? Oh Erik!"

She pulled me close and kissed my cheek.

"Is that a yes to tomorrow? I mean are you sure, you don't have to do this so soon Christine.

Yes Erik, I'm sure.

I will go see Daroga in the morning then!"

We finished our soup and we went to bed, but tonight we slept in the same bed! Something I had dreamed of since I had heard her sing.