Chapter 20

When we got to the lake we saw Daroga sitting by the fire. I quickly rowed us across the lake. Christine turned to me and giggled

"Erik, I have to sit by the fire and let my hair dry you know. Why don't you and Daroga chat a bit while I do this?

How long do you think that will take?

Maybe an our if I brush it while I sit."

I made a face and she chuckled at me. We got to shore and Daroga greeted us.

"So, we meet again.

So we do. How're you today Daroga?

I'm just happy you're making him happy."

I pointed his chin towards me as I was dropping the weight into the water.

"Now I won't have to listen to him cry about 'Christine! She was the one Daroga! She's the only one! Those kisses are the only I'll ever have. Oh my Christ-"

I elbowed him in the gut as he stage cried. We started to scuffle like children. I had him in a headlock. He was pulling at my arms. Christine went to her room smiling. Daroga now had my arms up above my head.

"The mask! The wig! Watch it!

Alls fair in love and war!"

I struggled to get out of his grip. As I escaped and went to tackle him Christine left her room.

"I hope you two aren't going to behave like this during my wedding.

Of course not.

I wouldn't dream of it Christine."

We stopped and went to the table to sit and chat. Christine was at the fire. We started to chat about my little fight with Raoul.

"How did he find you?

I don't know how he found us! What would he be doing in the alleys? He's the Vicomte de Changy!

Well, did she not say he was a terrible drinker? He could've been just leaving a bar, or looking for one. There are some that start serving at eleven in the morning.

Yes I know! But he came after us. He went after her! What sort of man would go after a woman even while drinking?

What happened? Those bruise and that cut?

I told him to leave she and I alone.

Told him?

I had to use force...

Did you break any bones of his?"

I saw Christine turn to us and we both looked at her. I smiled apologetically. She turned away and continued brushing her hair.

"I think his nose..."

I told him. Then I dropped it. Christine hummed a familiar melody. It was the song I had sung to her when I first brought her here. We smiled at each other and Daroga tilted his head. He looked at me and I shook my head with a smile on my face. After a few moments Christine popped up from the floor and started to skip to her room.

"I'm going to get ready, is everything prepared?

It will be when you come from your room."

She smiled at us and closed the door. We stood up and started running around frantically.

"Daroga take a few of the candles from my desk. I'll show you what do do with them."

I gathered the flowers and a music stand. I set up the music stand started to make a path from the stand to her door.

"Light the candles and set them on either side of the path!

Okay."

I got champagne and set it on the table with some of the chocolates, pastries and small sandwiches.

"Daroga can you manage to set yourself up while I dress quickly?

Of course."

I dove toward my room and ripped my clothes off. I threw on my best tuxedo. I threw on my shoes that were polished and clean. Afterwards I ran back to where Daroga stood. He had the violin under his chin, as we waited for Christine.