8

I wake up to a scream.
Not a scream of terror and pain.
But of joy.

A bit startled, I sit up and see Lee, running towards me.

"Thank goodness you're safe!" She says as she engulfs me into a hug, "I was worried sick!"

I don't say anything, I just hold onto her.

"Did he hurt you?" She questions, pulling away to look at me, not wanting to know the answer.

"He tried, but I'm okay." I say quickly, thankful it's over, for now.

"You must be hungry. Do you want some pancakes? I'll make some pancakes. Chocolate chip? I know that's your favorite!" Lee rambles as we walk down stairs.

"Chocolate chip pancakes sound wonderful." I confirm.

"Hey, what happened to Brian Westing?" I ask, not really wanting the answer.

"I don't know, why do you ask?" Lee replies while getting supplies for the pancakes.
I sit on the bar stool.

I take in her appearance, her tearstained face, the bags under her eyes.

"I just haven't seen him around lately." I claim, she doesn't need to know the real reason.

"Well, you know him, he may just be on an adventure." She laughs as she pours the mix into the bowl.
I smile. He was one for adventures

"Very true."

————

Lee and I finish the pancakes just when I get a phone call.

Brian Westing.

I begin to panic, but before I know it my phone is up to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask into the phone, hoping no one will answer.

"Hey!" Brian says,"you sound a little tense, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, just a little tired." I lie, of course I'm tense.

"I know you just got back from being kidnapped, but do you want to get some ice cream to calm down?" He says eagerly.

I contemplate over the choices and outcomes.

If I go, he'll ask about Jerome.
If I don't, they'll try harder.
If I go, I can ask questions... discretely.
If I don't go, I'll be safer.
If I go, I'll...

"Sure, What time?" I say before I can finish my thoughts. I'm even shocked at what I've said.

I'm so stupid.

"Great, I'll pick you up in 30 minuets." He states before we exchange our goodbyes, and hang up.

I'm an idiot.

"What's wrong?" Lee questions, noticing my shaken appearance.

"I'm just a little paranoid." I lie to her.

"Okay, who was that on the phone?" Lee asks, taking a seat by me on the bar.

"Brian, actually." I say, attempting to not sound scared out of my mind,"We're going to get ice cream. He's picking me up in 30 minuets."

"Well you better get ready!" Lee exclaims while pushing me to my room.