Chapter 8-Byzantine

In apology for the unexpected hiatus, here's an extra chapter! Thank you all who actually care to come back to this story ^_^
Now, comments:
EmoBayleef: Thanks a bunch! ^_^ The little comments are what inspire writers to keep going.
And now for our regularly scheduled chapter...

Chapter 8-Byzantine

A sick feeling starting near the end of sixth hour gnaws persistently at Mabel's stomach. She attempts to push it aside, but a slight amount of concern seeps through her barriers. Not even the teacher's lesson on a rather interesting subject for the girl can capture her attention.

Even as she walks into her seventh period, Mabel knows deep down that there is something wrong. In an attempt to bolster her confidence- if only for a short while -the elder of the Pines twin tells herself, 'I only have to survive this last hour and then I can know for sure Dippin' Dot is okay. He'll be fine; Grunkle Stan and Great Uncle Ford are both there. Nothing in the WORLD could make it past those two!' Nevertheless, Mabel's dark chocolate orbs are latched onto the clock affixed to the wall above the classroom door.

As it turns out, Mabel doesn't even have to finish out the hour. With twenty minutes of class left, the intercom crackles to life and blares, "Mabel Pines, please go to the principal's office. Mabel Pines to the principal's office."

The entire class swivel in their seats to stare at the girl. Even her teacher appears confused, looking to the brunette for an explanation. "Okay then..." Mabel mutters as she packs up her stuff, eyebrows knitted tightly together. The junior leaves the classroom, calling a last-second goodbye to her friends. Then she makes the long trek up to the front of the school where the main office is. The hallways are devoid of life and eerily silent, creating an ominous aura.

Mabel hesitantly enters the office, noting her Great Uncle Stanford sitting not so patiently on a couch against the back wall of the principal's office. His leg is bouncing rapidly and the man's left, six fingered hand taps repetitively on the armrest of the couch. Grunkle Ford rises immediately upon his grand niece's entry. "Mabel, did your brother come to school today?" He demands.

"Come to school?" Mabel echoes before shaking her head. "Uh uh. Dipper couldn't even get out of bed this morning."

Scowling, Ford turns to the principal, a short, squat lady nearing her late fifties. "I'll be checking Mabel out. Family emergency."

"Okay..." the principal drawls, penciled-in eyebrow raised. "Please just sign this check out form."

Grunkle Ford snatches the sheet from the woman, scribbling down his signature alongside Mabel's name and a half-written reason, and shoves the paper back at the principal. "Let's go, Mabel." The sixty-something year old man grabs his niece by her arm and tugs her out of the office and school.

"Ho-hold on! What's wrong? Is Dipper okay?" Mabel rushes out her questions while struggling to keep up with her great uncle's long strides. Grim determination is etched into the lines and wrinkles of the man's face. "Grunkle Ford, is my brother okay?" Mabel asks once more while trying to catch his eye.

The two reach the car before Stanford answers his great-niece's inquiries. He pops open the passenger seat and ushers in the brunette before finally saying, "Mabel, your has brother disappeared." A split second before Mabel registers the implications on Ford's words, the man snaps the door closed and braces himself.

"WHAT?!"

Stanford skirts around the car to slide in on the driver's side, still avoiding looking at the younger Pines. Meanwhile, Mabel is horrified, her eyes widening to larger than saucers. Ford starts the car, pulling out of the school before peeling off down the road. Mabel barely has time to fasten her seat belt. The aged man drills for more information while Mabel struggles with the belt clip. "I went to check on Dipper a little earlier and he was gone. Are you absolutely certain he couldn't get up?"