Chapter Four

The voice was cool and, in a strange way, seductive. It made a chill run down my back, making its way down every limb until it reached my toes. I didn't need to turn around, I already knew who it was.

   "What are you doing here?" I ask sharply. I wanted to make sure he caught every ounce of stiffness I forced into my sentence.

   "The same as you, I'd expect," he said in the same snarky tone he's had about him since first year. Even his overall vibe just made me angry.

   "Okay, so, why are you talking to me Malfoy?" I turned around to look at the shadow grey eyes staring back at me with such venom, it looked as if they'd burn a hole through my forehead.

   "Woah tiger, I don't want to be attacked," he held his hands up, "I just wanted to see how you're doing."

   I scoff. Draco Malfoy wants to see how I'm doing? That's the biggest piece of bull I think I've ever heard in my life. And that's a lot to say, considering I've spent seven years of my life hanging with Harry and Ron.

   "You humor me," I say dryly. Quickly opening up the compartment door. I tried to slam it but Malfoy's pale hand caught it at the last second. I groan.

   "What do you want Malfoy?" I ask. His presence was making me more and more exasperated.

   "A truce," he says flatly, "that's what I want."

   Some of my tension released as I look at him, a questioning expression on my face. A truce? The boy has haunted and mocked me for seven years and now he wants a truce?

   "What kind of truce," I say slowly. I glare at him, making sure he felt every bit of caution I laced through my words. He looked at me, unfazed, with his hands dug in his pockets. His bleached hair fell over his eyes and his grey irises looked at me expectantly.

   "What other kind of truce is there other than a truce?" he says, smirking. He knows he's getting under my skin. He enjoys getting under my skin.

   "Why do I even bother?" I whisper and slam the door before Malfoy catches it again. I make another groan, making sure it was  more audible than the first one, and Malfoy raised an eyebrow.

   "Look, I'm sorry, alright," he says nonchalantly, "But I don't want to spend the whole year like...this." He gestured with his hands to both of us.

   "What do you mean this," I ask, mocking him.

   "Us living like the past. I want to put what happened last year behind us. I promise not to mock you in public if you do the same."

   "Are you serious?" I ask incredulously, "Draco Malfoy, my sworn enemy for seven years, wants to call a truce?"

   He rolls his eyes, "You make me sound like a bloody-"

   "Hey!"

   We look down the hallway to see an angry looking Ron and Harry making there way toward us. I sat a bit against the door frame, letting my shoulders sag as I let out an annoyed sigh.

   "What are you doing here Malfoy!?" Ron asks smugly. Anger is evident in his twisted, mischievous face.

   Malfoy rolls his eyes, sticking his hands in his pockets. His straight neck tie now hung a bit ascew due to his force.

   "The same reason you're here Weaselbee," he said sneering. I thought maybe an emotionally scarring war would change a man, but apparently not.

   "What is wrong with you man!? I thought you were with us now!?" Harry asks, addressing the elephant in the room.

   "Well you thought wrong. I'm against Voldemort, not your friend," he almost spat the sentence as if he was trying to convince himself.

   "Hey!" I say. All the boys focus their attention to me, and I blush as the intensity in their gazes make me a bit self conscious. "Stop acting like a bunch of children! You're eighteen! Act like it!"

   I hear snickering as kids from all over the compartments had come to watch our "fight". I roll my eyes and focus my gaze back on Malfoy.

   "And you," I spit, "I accept your truce, but only on one condition."

   He sighs, pulling out his wallet stuffed with galleons and starts shuffling through the bills. I place a firm hand over his to make him stop, and he looks up, alarmed at my touch and quickly flinches away.

   "I don't want your money," I say sternly, "I want you to extend the truce to them."

   I gesture to Harry and Ron who are giving death glares to Malfoy. He sighs and looks at me.

   "Fine. I'll be going now," he said.

   "Took you long enough," Harry mutters as he walks past us, but quickly shuts up as I nudge him a little too hard on the arm.

   The final whistle blows and the train starts to move, so in order to not fall over, Harry, Ron, and I shuffle into the car and close the door.

   I sit down and look out the window, trying desperately to stare at the mountains, and trying to avoid Ron's eyes that were undoubtedly on me.

   Malfoy. Who does he think he is?! He can treat me like a piece of garbage for seven years and then ask for a truce to pretend it didn't happen? I don't think so!

   Still, I couldn't help but feel this sense of sincerity in the words he was telling us. As much as it hurt my pride to admit this, it seemed as if Malfoy was telling the truth.

   It made me horribly worried.

A/N

Sorry it took so long to update. I literally have had the worst writer's block recently, and it's also the first week back from Thanksgiving break so I'm trying to get used to school again. Hopefully I'll update more regularly soon!

COMMENT!

VOTE!

STAY TUNED!

XOXO - Sarah