Chapter Fourteen

The ball was beautiful.

    The shimmery drapes of brass and silver hung from the Great Hall in all their glory. Sparkles fell from the ceiling in a rain, and the dance floor was shining with polished marble. Tables decorated in beautiful golds and silvers scattered the ball room as a food table sat on the left side of the room, a giant sparkling ice swan gracing its center. I tried not to let my mouth drop as I tightened my hold on Blake's arm.

   "Its beautiful," I gasped.

   "A beautiful ballroom for a beautiful woman," Amos said, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I blushed, looking at my feet. My blue tulle dress complemented my skin color perfectly. It brought out my brown eyes. I had curled my hair in ringlets, letting it fall behind my back in a natural manner. I had applied a little bit of make up - only some mascara and light blush - but his compliment shook me. I somehow brought myself to look him in the eyes, and I smiled a bit. He showed off his perfect whites as he walked us through the door before we met up with Ginny and Harry. Ron was sulking in a corner for who knows why. He seemed accustomed to doing so lately. 

   "Hermione! You look beautiful!" Ginny gasped, running up to me and gawking at my dress and hair. I giggled a little and couldn't help from feeling a bit self conscious as I stared at the radiant Ginny, her red hair messily hung around her shoulders but going perfectly with her maroon dress. She was gorgeous.

   "Thank you! You do too," I said as Harry approached us.

   "Blake," Harry shook his hand.

   "Potter," Blake returned the shake but did not smile. Harry raised his eyebrows but turned his attention back to his girlfriend and I.

   I leaned in close to Harry. "What's up with Ron?" I asked, looking at the moody red head in the corner. I was surprised to find his eyes locked on mine.

   "Couldn't find a date," Harry said with a shrug of his shoulders, "I made him come, but it looks like he's doing the old Weasley pout when they don't get their way."

   He seemed to have forgotten his girlfriend - who was standing right beside him - was a Weasley, and winced as she smacked him in the chest.

   I was about to say something when the microphone buzzed and Headmaster McGonagall went to the speaker. She looked joyful in her new hat and robes, and watched as everyone filed in close to hear her announcement.

   "Welcome all of you!" she said, gesturing to the hundred or so couples in the audience, "to the first ever Winter Ball at Hogwarts! We hope you'll enjoy it as much as myself and Argus have had while planning it-" she gestured to Filtch, who rolled his eyes as he stroked Miss Norris, "Without further ado, get dancing!"

   The music started and people screamed with delight as an upbeat tune started playing. Amos dragged me by the hand as Harry and Ginny flung themselves into the crowd. He placed his hands on my waist as I observed the couples matching up. I wrapped my arms around his neck and we started to sway.

   As the music picked up, I laughed as Amos flung me out and in. I laughed as he smiled his one-thousand-watt grin, and about the fifth time he did so, I started to get dizzy and placed a hand on his chest.

   "S...Stop," I said through giggles as he leaned in close to me. The lights dimmed and the music slowed, and I watched as couple after couple hooked up together to dance. Harry and Ginny were silently giggling together as they danced, their shoulders shaking as they placed their foreheads together. I smiled at the action, silently wishing I had a relationship like that.

   "As much as I hate to admit it, Potter and Weasley are perfect for each other," Amos said, drawing my attention back to him. He was smiling at them too, but it lasted only a split second before he was looking at me again. I tried not to blush as I stared into his bewitching blue eyes.

   "I wish I had a relationship like that," I blurted out. I mentally face-palmed myself as my cheeks flamed, but Amos only chuckled, brushing a piece of hair out from my face.

   "Maybe you can," he said in a low voice, sending a shiver down my spine. I bit my lower lip, focusing on him as he started to lean in...

   "Ahem."

   I snapped out of it to see Draco and Parkinson dancing beside us. Amos rolled his eyes but I watched Draco closely, narrowing my eyes and cocking an eyebrow.

   "Here you go mate," Draco said, flinging Parkinson towards him and taking me by the waist, pulling me close to him. I stiffened at his touch immediately, and watched as Blake threw Parkinson a loathing smile as he danced. I snapped out of my daze once Draco placed a cold hand in mine, the other behind my back. I cautiously raised a hand to the top of his neck.

   "What're you doing!?" I hissed; annoyed. Draco saw that in my eyes and went into defense mode automatically.

   "What do you mean what am I doing!? I told you that Blake was bad news, and you go and try to bloody kiss him!?"

   Our voices were raised whispers amongst the teens who laughed and danced, but I wasn't feeling relaxed at all. I craned my neck to look into the cool grey eyes I'd became accustomed to, and was surprised to see a sense of urgency in them.

   "Why do you care?"

   His voice was low as he spoke, our bodies getting closer and closer to the dance floor's end. As he danced us farther away from the crowd, he lowered his head to mine, looking me straight in the eye.

   "Blake will betray you, you cannot stop him."

   He spun me around, out of the dance circle so I was standing outside of it. I blinked in surprise as the words had startled me.

   "Blake will betray you, you cannot stop him..."

   I placed a hand on my head, looking around desperately for Draco but only saw Blake running towards me, a smile plastered on his god-like face. I didn't return the gesture.

   "Lets get some punch, yeah?" he asked as he came close to me.

   My mind was buzzing too much. I had to go. I had to think. I had to get out of this blasted dress!!!

   "I have to go!" I practically yelled as I ran away from his puzzled expression, and into the cold December night.

A/N

Well that didn't go as expected...

- Sarah