Chapter Twenty

Draco POV

   I finally have it.

   The Time Turner sat in my hands as I brushed it with my thumb. It was real. Father was right.

   Still, when the tiny object lay in my hand, I felt this since of repulsion. Guilt was there, too, but the sense of disgust was strongest of all, that just a year later, I was forced to be the same wretched person I was just a year ago. And it's all because I'm too weak to stand up to my father.

   I was met with a sudden urge to throw the thing as far away from myself as I could, but was cut off by the sound of the meeting coming to a start.

   "Friends!" my father calls through the mirror to the people sitting around the table, sick smiles plastered on their faces, "Phase one of the plan has been completed! We will reign again!"

   Cheers and whoops erupted from the table, and I winced at the excitement. Mother looked elated.

   "Now that phase one is complete, Lucious," Amos Blake said from across the table, "will you finally tell us what we will use it for!?"

   "That's Mr. Malfoy to you, boy," father said in a rough tone, and Blake merely rolled his eyes at the sound, "and yes, I believe it is finally time to reveal phase three to you all."

   My heart pulsed in my throat. Father hadn't even trusted me or mother with phase three, and now he was going to reveal it to the whole lot of his followers?

   "Get on with it then," Yaxley rasped, kicking his feet up on the table.

   Father gave him a glare and took in a deep breath. The whole room was consumed with silence, anticipating the words that were soon to come.

   "As you all know," he started, "Draco Malfoy, my son, has succeeded in deceiving Hermione Granger into placing the Time Turner right into our hands. A job so previously failed by our own Amos."

   Blake rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

   "Now that we possess such an object, we will be completing the Dark Lord's original intentions."

   "Such as..." Mother drawls, addressing the confusion that filled the room.

   "We will be killing Harry Potter, by going back in time, therefore having the Dark Lord ride again."

   My heart shattered. I never thought father would make us go back to that again. I thought we were simply breaking him out of Azkaban.

   "What about you," I interrupt, surprising even myself with my bravery, "You're in Azkaban. What're we going to do about you."

   "That, my dear boy," father says with a gleam in his eye, "Is a job I'm specifically choosing for you."

   I clenched my fists, trying hard not to watch them turn white.

   "What?"

   "You must recall Draco," father says, eyeing me with sharp eyes, "that I haven't told you phase two of our plan."

   My heart beat quickened, and father had an evil look in his eyes. I gulped.

   "That is?"

   Father chuckled. "You see, Azkaban is the most highly secure facility in all of the wizarding world. It has only been succeeded once, under unknown circumstances."

   "You see, for this specific deed to be done, we need someone smart, diligent, brave in the face of danger..."

   "The brightest witch of our age, perhaps..."

   My heart stops. No. No, anything, anyone but her.

A/N

It's been a while friends ;)

- Sarah