Chapter Ten

December approached and with it came the usual approach of McGonagall's newly induced tradition. The Winter Ball, as she called it, was to be held every year in the December month. She claimed it was to 'Enhance the appreciation of modern and traditional dance', a passion McGonagall loved, but we all knew it was because she loved to see her students so happy about such an occasion.

   The entire hall was abuzz with whispers and giggles as students fourth year and up fantasized over who was going to ask them. The third years and younger looked sour as they prayed for an older boy or girl to ask them so they could go. And of course, every boy in the hall looked sick to their stomach as the reality of them having to ask someone dawned on them. Including Ron, who sat with me, Harry, and Ginny, and looked as if he was once again hexed with slugs.

   "I mean, why does the responsibility of finding a date fall to the men," Ron grumbled, shoving the plate of toast back into the center of the table roughly, "Why can't the girls just ask the guys? It would make my job so much easier!"

   I rolled my eyes and chuckled lowly, "You and every boy third year and younger are thinking the same thing."

   "Oh shut it," he said, "I thought I'd only have to go through this once. But of course McGonagall sets an annual ball."

   "At least this is your last year to go to it," Ginny said, trying to be positive, "After then you'll be free."

   "Merlin bless the day," Ron sighed and dropped his head in his hands.

   "So Mione," Harry said, trying to direct all of our attention away from the moping red head, "What do you have to do today?"

   "I have N.E.W.T Divination, Charms, and N.E.W.T Defense Against the Dark Arts in the morning," I say spreading some marmalade on my toast, "And a free period this afternoon. I'll probably use it to study."

   "Blimey," Ron rolls his eyes, "You're the only person in the world Hermione that would ever use a free period to study."

   "Well Ronald, maybe I just like to study," I shot back, a little more aggressive than usual. Ron raised his eyebrows in surprise but said nothing.

   Ginny, sensing the tension, cleared her throat and removed herself from Harry's arm. She started packing up her bags, ignoring Harry's fake pout when she moved.

   "Well, I've got Potions, so I best be going," she bent over, giving Harry a kiss on the cheek and muttering a quick 'bye love' before walking down the pathway. Ron rolled his eyes at the gesture, and Harry sent him a death glare, though he was doing a very poor job at hiding his blush.

   "I need to go too," I said, slinging my book bag over my shoulder. Harry gave me a smile and a nod, whilst Ron just nodded and looked the other way. Godric, what's gotten into him?

~•~

   I walked down the long hallway towards my first class, admiring the highly detailed walls and corridors as I always do. I've read Hogwarts; A History a million times and I knew every nook and cranny of every hallway, corridor and staircase. I even knew the architects. Still, I felt like I found a new wonder every time I walked down the passages.

   "Hello love," a deep American voice spoke from behind me. I jumped a little, immediately recognizing the voice belonged to Blake, but still startled by the sudden words.

   "Goodness Blake," I sighed, putting a hand over my heart as he easily fell in step beside me, "You scared me!"

   "Sorry," he said letting out an easy smile, "I just wanted to talk to you."

   "About?"

   He leaned into me as if to share some secret but he was smiling through his teeth, "Are all Brits this nervous about dances?"

   I chuckled a bit, "Are all Americans this judgmental?"

   "Touché."

   "But really though," he started, running a hand through his thick hair, "Zabini and Crabe were on the verge of being sick at breakfast this morning."

   I laughed at the image, "You should've seen the castle during the Yule Ball. The entire school was sent to the hospital wing with anxiety."

   He nudged my shoulder playfully, "Apart from you."

   "Of course."

   He stepped in front of me and walked backwards, looking at me as he talked.

   "So, Granger."

   "So, Blake."

   "How good of a dancer are you?"

   The question took me by surprise, and I raised an eyebrow. A strange feeling of excitement washed over me at the thought of Blake even considering me as a candidate. I blushed a bit.

   "Lets just say I wasn't exactly paying attention to McGonagall's lesson," I teased.

   "Tst," he sighed, "That's too bad, because I was planning on saving you a dance."

   Heat flushed to my ears but I stayed level.

   "Hum, a Slytherin and a Gryffindor dancing together? Could cause some house prejudice you know."

   I stepped closer to him and he looked down at me, "Save me a dance Granger."

   I felt weak in the knees as he winked at me and walked down the corridor.

A/N

Oh yeah, Ron exists.

VOTE

COMMENT

XOXO - Sarah