Chapter Thirty-One

I raced down the corridors, my wand held high in my hand as I approached the Headmistress' office. I knew Draco would be in there, after the clue he gave me.

   I reached the eagle statue, saying the password swiftly and jogging up the stairs. I swung upon the door, upon seeing a startled boy jump from the corner.

   Draco's hair was messed up and he looked disheveled. He regarded me with panicked eyes that melted when they settled on my figure. He waisted no time in running over to me, and I stood on my tip toes, placing a hand on his cheek as he held onto my wrist.

   "I knew you would come," he said, looking into my soul with his gray eyes - those gray eyes I had groaned to love so much. I shook my head, my eyebrows furrowing.

   "What's going on?" I asked, watching as Draco licked his lips, "What's happening."

   "Father's taken over the school," he said, looking anxiously from side to side, "He's killing anyone and everyone he comes into contact with, and then he's going to do it, tonight."

   I shook my head, "Do what."

   Draco looked at me incredulously. "Use the Time Turner, of course."

   I looked at him, confused, "That's impossible, Ron destroyed it."

   Draco's face fell, "So the rumors are correct."

   "Yes."

   Draco was silent for a moment before taking his hands from my wrist and placing them on my shoulders. He pulled me impossibly closer, looking into my eyes with ferocity.

   "If not, then you have to get out of here," he said, "It isn't safe here. You aren't safe anymore."

   I looked at him, shock and concern written across my features, "You can't possibly believe I'm leaving."

   "Yes, you are," he said matter-of-factly, taking a step back, "Hermione, if my father finds you he will kill you in an instant."

   "Then let him," I say, taking a step forward and drawing up strength, "I've only just got here. I'm not leaving the Ministry without helping them stop him for good."

   "What good is it to them when you die?" He asked. He was getting increasingly more angry, but I didn't care. I took another step forward, courage building up inside of me.

   "Die?" I laugh, "You're talking to the girl whose defeated demons and destroyed Horcruxes and destroyed Voldemort!"

   Draco placed his hands on the back of a chair. "That doesn't make you invincible."

   "Well it sure as hell makes a difference!" I exclaim, crossing my arms over my chest.

   "Why don't you value your life!" he asked, looking up at you and practically yelling.

   "It's not so much as not valuing so much as caring about others!"

   "So you'd rather die for friends!"

   "I'd rather die doing what's right!"

   "Well maybe I'm not ready for you to die!"

   Draco was breathing heavily, his face a mask of agony, the veins in his neck popping out like spidery vines. I furrowed my eyebrows, my lips parting.

   "What?"

   "I can't loose you now," he said, "Not when I need you the most."

   The silence after the sentence was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I stood rooted to my spot for a few moments, my head spinning and thoughts racing as I tried to interpret what he meant. After a while, I spoke.

   "Why did you kiss me?"

   Draco froze, his hands leaving his hair and falling to his sides as he stared at me. His stormy eyes clouded, and he spoke in a low voice.

   "What's to matter," he said with a quiet click of his tongue.

   "What's to matter!" I gasp, stepping forward and exasperatedly flailing my arms, "You kiss me, almost in tears whilst saying I'm sorry more than a few times, and you're expecting me to think nothing of it?"

   "It happened," he said, looking distressed, "That's all. It's irrelevant, what's important in now is getting you out of here, alive."

   My mouth parted, as tears sprung to my eyes. "Irrelevant!" I exclaim, stomping over to him, "What do you mean it's irrelevant! I spent three weeks worrying about you! Do you think that was irrelevant!"

   "No," Draco said, getting more frustrated by the second, "It was stupid."

   I stepped back a bit, feeling as if I'd been punched. I was finally starting to feel something for the infuriating boy, and now he goes out and says our reaction was stupid? I spoke in a wavering, quiet voice, looking at my feet.

   "You think the kiss was stupid?"

   Draco looked up at me, his eyes softening, and he drew in a low, shaky breath.

   "Hermione," he said, "That kiss, that kiss was wonderful. The best one I'd ever had, because it meant something."

   "But Hermione," he said whilst approaching me, "I could never pursue you. I would get you killed. That's why it's irrelevant."

   "Draco," I said, standing on my tip toes and cupping his cheeks, "Come with me! We could go to my parents house and all this would be over! You wouldn't have to see your father again-"

   Draco stepped away from my caressing embrace, and crossed his arms, his fingers on his forehead with concentration. "You don't want that on your conscious," he said, "I know you, Hermione, you would feel dreadful about the whole thing. I couldn't do that to you-"

   Just then, a noise came from below, and the eagle started to rise in a twisting fashion. Draco intook a sharp breath, stepping in front of me and standing tall, looming over me like an umbrella. I watched from behind his back, terrified.

   "Miss Granger," said a low voice, "'Tis nice to see you again..."

A/N

Thoughts?

- Sarah