Chapter 2

I didn't bother changing out of my clothing for the party. My basic shorts-overalls and a red turtleneck. I wasn't even going because I knew anyone, I was going because I wanted the food. No food is better than that of Royals.

I checked in on my sister, feeling my eye twitch when I saw she was holding a dress up to herself, going back and forth with that dress and another. They were both blue, only one was a V neck and the other strapless.

"Okay, here you go, decision made. Let's go." I said, yanking away the strapless dress and stuffing it back in her closet. She huffed and shoved my from the room.

I tapped my fingers along the wall impatiently. I've never been one to wait that long or that well. And when time gets between me and food, I get hangry and start eating everything I see. Scarves, shoes, the wall. And right now plaster is sounding like a good appetizer.

"Okay, let's go." Lindsay said, yanking me by the horns away from the window sill. I gnawed on the chunk of wood I got. "Look. You've got me stress-eating."

"You mean you ran out of patients. I swear, Dad's gonna get you one day for this." Lindsay said with an eye roll. And then I saw it. The tiny glittery thing on her ear. "Lindsay."

"Hmm?"

"What's in your ear?"

"Uhmmm....earring. Don't worry, Dad doesn't know."

"You're allergic to platinum and silver, Lindsay. What is that made out of?"

"Plastic, duh. What else would it be made of?"

"Platinum or silver." I mumbled, crossing my arms. She'll blame it on me if Dad does find out.

 My sister lives up to our story, that's for sure. She blames everything on me, and because I don't blame my older brother, I get most of the blame in the house. One more reason I hate Asen: my sister likes him. Even if he wasn't a troll, I would still hate him. My sister is always doing dumb stuff and saying I made her do it whenever she gets in trouble for it.

I left George the house keys. I knew he would probably leave after he knew we weren't nearby. He does that a lot, actually.

My sister pranced ahead, finding her friends and stopping their car. She climbed in and waved to me. Oh, goodie. I get to meet her friends. I climbed in the car, and spotted one, two, three fairies. And, just for clarification, they are human sized, not six inches tall. There was one satyr--a close cousin to what my family was, only we had knees--who was eyeballing me. I didn't even try to tell her I was straight.

We pulled up to the castle, and I was the first to get out the car and to the gates. My sister was well behind me, swooning at all the guys that walked by. I headed in the castle doors, and then I felt really underdressed. All these ball gowns and suits...well, at least the trolls still came shirtless.

Oh, wait. Not a good thing, because in three, two, one...my sister squealed behind me and rushed over to where Asen and his family were. Some of the trolls were his friends, too, and fairies. See, trolls we all guys. So were ogres. They had only one way to reproduce, which is with fairies, who are mostly all female. Except for the councilman. Nobody has any idea how he came to be, and none want to know.

And I hated my sister to the depths of the earth when she pointed at me, making the whole group of fairies and trolls look over. And then she waved me over. I was heading for actual food, but now it looks like I'll be eating topiaries and curtains.

"Asen! Do you know my sister, Billy?" Lindsay asked, adding extra sweetness to her voice. I mean, even I have to admit that the trolls are hot. But most are jerks. And I really don't know if Asen is.