Chapter 9

When I woke up, Asen was snoring in my hear. Loudly. I shimmied out of his grasp, leaving him to hug himself. I could hear him mutter something, and his face was troubled, so I felt horrible for leaving. But I hate physical contact, even if it was warm, and happy, and so nice...

My hand hadn't even pulled down the zipper when Asen jerked awake, kicking me into the tent and then out of it because the zipper. I land in a pile of snow, and because I'm still that tired I just lay there.

But then I heard muttering and cursing, and hen a snap and fabric moving and more cursing. I sat up and turned around to see the tiny tent I was just in collapsed on Asen. He was now struggling with it trying to get out. After a little longer--and me untangling it--he pops his head out. "Are you okay?" He asked, out of breath.

"You're asking me? The tent just ate you."

"Well, um...hush. Besides, I kind of kicked you."

"You are talking to someone who enjoys eating poison ivy and shrapnel."

"That's your inards, not the outards."

"What?"

"Nothing." He muttered, climbing out of the tent and kicking it. "Are Scarlet and Oskan awake?"

In response to his question, howling laughter rang through the forest, as well as the crack of branches. Scarlet burst through the trees and crashed into me, ramming us into Asen and onto the ground.

She grinned at me and scrambled up. "We have to go now. Quickly."

"Why?" Asen and I asked in unison, giving me chills. I hope that doesn't happen again.

"Something's chasing us!" She said excitedly.

"You're happy about that?" I practically shriek, Asen whispering it. It happened again, god help me.

"Yeah, it'll be fun because they only travel during the night."

I struggle to not strangle my best friend. Asen sees this struggle and gets off the ground and in between me and her. "So, where's Oskan?"

"He's coming. This'll be so fun! Wait--no, it won't. You guys could get hurt and Billy can't see in the dark. Ugh I should have packed a first aid kit."

I could feel my eye twitch. She doesn't even care about herself? Or the fact we still have no idea what she's talking about?

Oskan stumbles from the trees, huffing and puffing. "Okay, we need to go now. They're held up for now, but not for long."

"What is being held up exactly?" I ask, since Asen isn't.

Oskan bristles and looks to Scarlet, who avoids looking me in the eyes. "Later. Right now, we should leave." Oskan tells us, scrambling to pack up the tents in the snow. Scarlet helps, and Asen does too. I almost do, but something makes me stop. Something just feels wrong.

I look around. The forest is silent, and the back of my neck tingles with the feeling of being watched. And a feeling of familiarity comes to me.

Oskan stands and shoulders the now packed-up tents, glancing behind me. "Okay, let's go." Scarlet says, plastering a smile on her face. And then they run. I follow, stumbling over branches and logs and stupid snow.

But the farther we ran, the less snow there was. Soon--after everyone else running and me grunting out of breath and moving my legs at a pace near walking--the trees were thinning out and the snow began to thin with them.

Everyone else was still running, but they were slowing down. I was far behind them, following the sounds they made as they tore through the forest. I have never ran this much in my life, yet apparently they have.