Chapter 5

Adriana

When I finally reach the door, it felt like years since I left.

After my little comment, smartass trailed behind me like a lost puppy and didn't say a single word. I had asked him a few questions, like how he knew Alec, but he just grunted unattractively and said that it doesn't matter. There were also a few times when I had to stop walking, since he seemed so inherently fascinated by literally everything and seemingly forgot to move his legs, getting grouchy when I told him to keep walking.

As you can imagine, I was momentarily ecstatic to be dragged away by a overly bubbly Becca. I don't think I've ever been so grateful to have to pick out shoes in my life.

She and I have been in her room now for about a half hour, trying to pick out some heels for some distant relative's wedding. The task to begin with wasn't bad; we caught up on some college gossip and I was informed of some new project coming up, however I did feel like gouging my eyes out after about 5 minutes of scrolling. Now it just feels tedious at best, doing nothing to avert my thoughts from the crap that just keeps piling up.

Just thinking about it causes everything to feel uncomfortable. My cheek aches. My shoulders ache. My stomach is churning and empty. I haven't showered yet, which doesn't help.

The walls only ever get closer.

My bid for temporary freedom only helped for so long. As soon as smartass showed up, any peace was shattered into tiny little shards.

"You good?" Becca's bright eyes examine my face, searching for something. Clearly I haven't been subtle enough in hiding my thoughts. Reading my expression, she places her cool palm on my shoulder. "If you wanna take a break, you can. I'm getting a little hungry anyway."

I consider it. As much as I appreciate what she is doing by being here for me, I need some time to think, and every time I try, I get interrupted.

Making my final decision, I smile gratefully. "I think I'll take a shower. Clear my head a bit."

"Sure.  I'll be downstairs if you need anything. You can get some more of my clothes too." She stands, pointing her thumb briefly at the wardrobe and flashing me a caring smile, before turning and heading out the room. I smile back, silently thanking her.

After she leaves, I don't immediately move. I can't bring myself to. My legs start feel numb, rigid. The silence of the room means I can here my heart beating, the rhythmic thud getting louder the more I try not to listen. Sweat is already coating my palms, liquid beads running into the dips in my skin.

I sigh. I need to get it together.

Gathering all the strength I can muster, I push myself off the bed and walk over to Becca's wardrobe for some clean clothes. I don't look at what I'm picking out, not even checking to see if it is big enough. Becca is a relatively skinny girl, so anything tight fitting won't fit me very well. I'm quite a lot bigger in shape; wider hips, bigger stomach...

At some point, I find myself in the bathroom, having walked almost unconsciously. I place the random assortment of clothing on the counter, turn on the shower, and step out of the clothes I was wearing.

As soon as I step into the shower, my eyes close. Not bothering to turn the heat up, I let the cold water pummel my skin. It leaves a path of burning cold down my back.

I start to soap up my hair half-heartedly, before rinsing it. As the icy water slides down my head, the pounding ceases slightly and the ringing in my ears becomes a distant murmur. Washing the rest of my body has a similar effect, aside from causing my more serious bruises to ache a little from the cold.