Chapter 9

Adriana

I huff.

We were supposed to leave twenty minutes ago.

Becca, Prince and I are sat perched on the narrow doorstep, waiting.

I would kill to have someone say something. Even if it's him. Even if I feel like hitting him after.

What is taking Alec so long?

My prayers are answered when he pulls open the door, phone in hand and bag on back. Staring at the phone screen with a slight grimace, he locks the door. Turning to us, he smiles, the expression forced and unnatural. "Ready?"

I can almost taste the dripping sarcasm fighting to come out.

We've been ready for an unnecessarily lengthy amount of time now, thank you very much.

Instead of responding aloud to the inane question, I turn to Becca and attempt for the nine hundredth time today to gain some kind of information. "Where exactly are we going?"

Turning to me, she smiles gently, though this does nothing to hide her irritation. "The forest."

My brow raises. "I already know that. I mean where in the forest. Are there some houses somewhere?"

She glances at Alec briefly with tight lips. He shrugs his shoulders, gesturing Prince who seems to be ignoring our presence. "Um... In a way..."

My nose scrunches as I lift myself from the doorstep. "What does that even mean?"

As I trail alongside her, Prince decides to speak up. "There are homes out there. We'll be heading to one of them to find a friend of mine."

At this, my heart palpitates. It has become increasingly clearer to me that I am basically going to be running about with some random kidnapping mystery guy who I know nothing about. I'll be honest, I didn't think much of it when I decided that I would be going with them. Getting Emily back was and is my top priority. However, common sense kicked in this morning, and to put it bluntly, I'm shitting myself. I don't even know the guy's real name. He mentioned the name 'Prince' when I met him, yet Alec and Becca have not once referred to a name, and to me it didn't sound genuine in the first place. Half of what he says sounds rehearsed, and the rest seems like he's trying to cover his arse when he's told me too much. And now I find out that we'll be meeting his friend... I hadn't considered the fact that anyone else might be involved in whatever is happening. Not to mention that this person apparently lives somewhere in the forest. I suppose I can only hope that this person isn't a complete mental case.

Glancing to the side, I notice the two siblings. They both wear tight expressions, as if their faces are attempting to mask all emotion. Becca gnaws on her lip, looking straight at Prince, while Alec messes with the zip of his jacket, watching his fingers toying pointlessly with it. Seeing them acting this way, my stomach drops. This 'friend' lives in the forest, probably alone and is involved in a kidnapping. I don't think I'm the only one expecting a mental case.

Shivering, I imagine the possibilities of what we're about to face. Will it be some bald guy with a meat cleaver? Or maybe they could be one of those sweet old ladies that are actually secretly badass.

What if they're a cannibal?

My stomach churns at the thought. I'm too young to be someone's main course.

Stop it. I'm just overthinking.

It would seem that I've been overthinking so much that we have arrived near the edge of the forest without me even realising. My insides do a somersault. It should be a pleasant, natural sight, but instead it is surrounded in something I can't quite identify, but I know it's not natural.