Chapter 10

Adriana

As we continue our journey, I admire the circular piece of metal - the chakram. It's surprisingly light for a weapon. It is gilded intricately along it's centre with patterns resembling something ancient pressed into the surface; they might have been writing at some point, but age and repeated use has worn them down. The blade itself however is still sharp enough to cut someone from simply looking at it, which worries me since I have to awkwardly carry it. Luckily, the curved handle running through the centre means that I don't have to butcher my hand in order to hold it. It may cut my side if I'm not careful though.

It can't be nearly as bad as the other ones. It turns out, the main weapon I'm holding is part of a sort of set. I have a total of 6 other chakrams, all of which being much less complex aesthetically than the main one. They are a simple band of thin steel, with no gilded decoration or handle but are just as sharp, if not more due to how much thinner they are. Each varies in size, with two of them being large enough to fit a head through and the other four being the size of a bangle. They are also considerably lighter than the main. Since they are so sharp and seemingly impossible to carry, the smaller ones are in my backpack, the larger ones strapped tightly to the outside, although I have to admit I have been checking every so often to see if they are still strapped tight enough. Just the thought of them falling on my ankle makes me nervous. The siblings think that I'm overthinking it, but I take no chances.

I still haven't the foggiest how to use them, since Becca and Alec don't know either and I don't want Prince thinking he has leverage. Why did I have to pick these? If I can manage to cut myself on a sheet of flimsy paper then I can sure as hell do that with a bunch of pointy frisbees. If he was to come at me with his warhammer, I am almost certain that I'd skewer myself before he got in a hit. Then again, what he doesn't know won't hurt anyone, and besides, I look insanely badass. Win.

Speaking of hammers, he seems pretty acquainted with his choice. As we have been walking, he has been swinging it about as if it is just another appendage, all the while remaining uninjured, which baffles me. The thing looks like it weighs a tone and a half, yet he barely breaks a sweat carrying it. His biceps flex, his shoulders squared from the strain of the extra weight. Yet he walks as if it's nothing.

God. Here I am, ogling a potentially lethal mental case who could probably kill me easily enough without the damn hammer. I blame hormones.

I have got to think about something else.

Fortunately for me, my stomach starts to grumble, causing my thoughts to shift to my impending hunger. Unfortunately, I think everyone can hear it, since as always, it sounds like a beached whale.

Pursing my lips, I mentally scold my stomach.

Behind me, Alec lightly chuckles. Scrunching my nose, I groan as he comes up beside me, wearing a shit eating grin, confirming that he did indeed hear my stomach. Swinging his backpack off of his shoulder, he opens it up, fishing around for a few seconds before revealing a granola bar and handing it to me.

"I do have my own food you know," I open the wrapper.

"Yes, but I know you. You wouldn't have eaten anything," he takes out another bar for himself.

"What makes you think that?"

Grinning, he swallows a large bite. "Because you're constantly panicking about how far we have to go."

So he noticed then.

"We'll why else would you have gotten a weapon? You don't expect me to believe you'd have it if you thought we weren't going that far."

"How far are we going?" I finish off the food, stashing the wrapper in my jacket pocket.

Before Alec could respond, Prince replied from in front of us. "We are almost there. It's just past those trees," without looking at us, he gestures to an unusual arrangement of trees. There are two sturdy oaks standing not far away, their trunks thick and rough. Their branches wind together just below where the canopy of leaves begins, forming a natural archway coated in vibrant ivy snaking between branches. From where we are, I can't see anything behind them but grass.