Chapter 16

Adriana

"Eros, please just sit down, you're still weak."

"I want to help."

"You'll be able to help much better if you don't over exert yourself."

"Mahlia, please. I need to do something."

"Sit down."

"But-"

"No."

"Ow! I'm fragile!"

"Sit."

"Not a dog."

"Boy if you don't-"

"Fine! Calm your tits I'm going."

"Watch your language."

"wAtcH yOur lAnGuAgE wAa."

"You're a child."

"What's you're point?"

I hear a deep chuckle as I struggle to open my eyes, the sudden exposure to light making them water. My head thuds relentlessly and I groan, feeling a pressure in my side.

"Is she awake?"

I wince, my pounding head not particularly liking the sudden onslaught of sounds. As my eyes finally open properly, I can see a woman - presumably Mahlia - knelt down beside me, her hand pressed flush against my side while she appears to shush someone. Eros sits a little further away, leaning against a tree with his arms wrapped somewhat protectively around his stomach. He looks incredibly pale, wearing a slightly pained but relieved expression.

My eyes drift down towards Mahlia's hand on my side. It seems unnaturally rigid, and despite her darker skin tone it appears to be tinted red as if it is incredibly warm. I don't personally feel any heat coming from it, but the pressure in my side is a strange sensation that makes it awkward to breathe. Strangely though, it's not painful, despite everything suggesting that by normal standards it probably should be.

Mahlia notices me looking at her hand and smiles, shifting slightly to face me more. I notice that her eyes are lighter than I expected, with barely any pupil visible and her iris a stony grey shade.

"How much do you remember, dear?"

Assuming that she's talking about something to do with my side or maybe why Eros looks so pale, I try to think back though I am only met with the pounding in my head. I do recall seeing Emily and something about a wolf, but it seems completely out of context and my confusion only worsens.

"Don't rush it too much. You hit your head, it will get easier to remember later," Mahlia explains reassuringly.

"What if I can't remember?" I croak, my throat dry.

"You will eventually," she moves her hand from her side, and the pressure disappears, replaced with a numb feeling. "I have healed your wounds as much as I can for now. The energy should be enough that you will be able to remember soon. It will come on it's own, you've nothing to worry about sweetie."

At her mentioning healing, I begin to wonder how it is possible for anyone to do. She only had her hand on me, and I have no bandages that I can see. "How can you heal like that?"

"I am a witch; you may not remember much of me yet. We learn how to manipulate the energy around us to carry out a given purpose, so I am able to use it to speed up the healing of your wounds, although your body will have to do a bit of the work itself now," she explains, winking. "We have to be very in tune with nature as this is where witches draw their power. Anyone can do it really."