Chapter 3: Confrontations Aren't Anyone's Thing

Spencer woke up the next morning around 8:30 am. She sighed. It was too early to wake up on a Saturday. Despite that, though, she knew she wouldn't be able to fall back asleep. Maybe it was the fact that she was already half awake due to the sun shining through her bedroom window. Maybe it was because she barely slept at all last night. Probably both. She spent the night thinking about Toby. About how happy he looked with Hallie and how they were engaged; it made her stomach turn thinking about it. She sat up and looked beside her. Drew's bare back was facing her. Before you jump to conclusions, he was still wearing sweats from the night before, so nothing happened. And nothing has ever happened. Spencer just couldn't see herself taking that step with Drew. Even though it's been four years and the guy's moved on, she always thought her virginity should go to Toby. Spencer sighed, staring at Drew as his chest moved up and down. She knew that nothing would ever happen between her and Toby again. He has moved on and is perfectly happy with someone else. So why shouldn't she do the same? She has Drew, someone she really likes. If Toby can be with Hallie, kissing publically and her sitting on his lap in front of everyone, Spencer should be able to be more public with Drew. Obviously Toby shouldn't care if he's with Hallie right? Right. With that thought, Spencer pushed the comforter off of her legs and hopped of the bed. She made her way to her dresser, examining her reflection. She combed her fingers through her hair, making sure she was presentable and bed-head free. Satisfied with her appearance she made her way other of her room and into the kitchen, deciding it was a good time for coffee. She stopped in the kitchen's entry way when she saw another figure sitting at the table. Noticing her, the person looked up and she came face to face with those bluer-than-blue eyes once again.

He set down his coffee, wiping his mouth with a napkin, before speaking, "Spencer. I'm sorry, I didn't think anyone else was up."

After a moment, Spencer tore her eyes away, focusing on the kitchen floor, making sure not to stare at his shirtless chest. She was also now aware she was dressed in pajama shorts and a tank top. Eventually she cleared her throat, "Um, its fine. You're welcome to help yourself."

Toby, also now aware of their current attire, focused his attention back on his coffee mug. "I made some coffee, if you want any." He stated. At the mention of coffee, Spencer looked up. "Unless you still prefer you're extremely strong." He added, remembering that way she liked her coffee back in high school.

Spencer was secretly flattered that he remembered this. She had to bite her lip to keep from smiling. "I think I can manage." She walked over to the cabinets, taking a mug out for herself. She poured some steaming coffee into her cup. Placing the coffee maker back down, she leaned against the counter, taking slow sips of the hot liquid.

"You know you can sit down if you want," Toby chuckled, "it is your house."

Spencer blushed. She slowly made her way to the kitchen table, pulling out the seat across from him. She took a seat setting her cup on the table. There was a few beats of awkward silence before Toby spoke up again.

"Spencer, I know it's been a while since we last saw each other. I also know that our relationship didn't end well. But can we, you know.... Try to be friends? I really want us to be." He said. Spencer's eyes didn't meet his, but he was still staring at her intently, waiting to see her reply. He took a deep breath before adding, "For Hallie?" This made Spencer's heart drop. She shut her eyes tight. She knew she had to say yes. She knew she had to make the next few months manageable. So she sighed, opening her eyes, and nodded, "I'd really like that, if we were friends." She added a fake smile, trying to be as convincing as possible.

Toby smiled, though she couldn't tell if his was real or fake. "Thank you Spencer, it means a lot." His smile sent butterflies to her stomach. She opened her mouth to say something, but was interrupted when everyone else started filing into the kitchen. It was like everyone woke up at the exact same time, purposely trying to ruin their conversation. Spencer groaned quietly as Hallie made her way over to Toby. "Hey, good morning Hun." She greeted, kissing Toby. Spencer looked away, and was now facing Drew. "Morning, beautiful." He whispered, leaning down to plant a kiss on her lips. Instead, Spencer tilted her head so he would kiss her on the lips. Drew made it obvious he didn't mind. Spencer made the kiss longer, cupping his cheek.