Chapter 5: Don't Stop Until You Drop

Saturday came painfully slow. Hallie gave Spencer the cold shoulder; only for a few details of the Engagement Party did she speak at all. So most of time Spencer had to meet with Toby, and the only words they spoke to each other had to do with planning. It was awkward, but Spencer was a little happy to spend time with Toby. However, they weren't alone. Every time they agreed to meet, Drew and/or Hallie came along. It was extremely uncomfortable but she somehow made it through. Since today was the day of the party, Spencer decided to talk to Hallie, to apologize. She walked down the hallway from her room, to Hallie's. She knocked, but there was no answer. She opened the door a crack and peeked inside. Hallie was sitting on her bed reading a book. Catcher in the Rye. Of Course.

"You have got to be kidding me." Spencer muttered to herself, leaning her head against the door frame.

That was when Hallie looked up. "Spence, is that you?"

Spencer looked over at her, pushing the door open all the way. "Hallie, hey!" Spencer put on her best fake smile and walked in the room. She went up to the foot of the bed. "I was hoping we could talk."

Hallie sat up, closing the book, and setting it on the table beside her bed. "About what?"

"About Toby. Me and Toby." Spencer stated, nervously.

"What's there to talk about?" Hallie questioned, "You said she both were over it."

"I know," Spencer said, sitting on the bed across from her, dangling one leg of the edge. "I just wanted to make sure you understood that, that there is absolutely nothing between us. It's all in the past."

Hallie took a deep breath. "I believe you." Spencer sighed in relief. "I'm sorry I've been so rude for the past week. It's just, I was surprised. I had no idea and I was nervous, jealous even."

"Why?" Spencer asked surprised.

"Well, he knew you first. He loved you first."

Spencer looked down. She took a second before looking back at first. "That's true, but I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about." She hesitated before continuing. "Toby really loves you."

Hallie gave her a smile. "Thanks, Spence." She reached over and hugged Spencer. "You are the best."

Spencer sighed, hugging her back.

The engagement party was small, like Hallie requested, but it was nice. Mostly family attended. Actually, mostly Hallie's family. Toby's dad and step-mom did attend, but not Jenna. Last everyone knew, was that she was in jail, and they didn't even invite her. Emily spent her time with Samara, and Aria with Ezra. Hanna sat at her assigned table, which was also with Spencer, Drew, and Caleb, and picked at her food. After about a half hour of being alone, she was joined by Caleb.

"Hey," he said, sitting next to her. "Having fun?"

"No," Hanna sighed, "all my friends have dates, so I'm the loner sitting in the corner."

"No you're not, this tables in the center of the room." Caleb tried to lighten the mood, but Hanna just rolled her eyes. But he continued, "and I don't have a date and we're friends right?"

Hanna sat up suddenly, surprised. "Yeah, I guess."

"So, we can be alone together." He suggested with a smile.

"Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being alone?" Hanna asked, smiling too.

Caleb laughed, beginning to eat his plate of food.

The party had been going on for an hour now and Spencer spent all of her time running around the room, making sure everything was in place and perfect. She hadn't sat down once and hadn't eaten a thing.