Chapter 13: What Happens in Vegas part 1

And when Toby pressed his ear against Spencer's door, he heard the one thing he hated most in the world. Spencer crying.

As soon as Aria, Emily and Hanna walked through the door Tuesday night, Spencer knew something was up. She had been lounging on the couch since Jason left a few hours' prior watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S reruns when her friends walked through the door. They all wore matching annoyed and exhausted expressions. She muted the TV and stood up.

"What happened?" Spencer questioned.

"The most screwed up quadruple date ever." Aria stated.

"Hey, me and Caleb were not there on a date alright?" Hanna said annoyed.

"Okay, I'm still confused." Spencer continued.

"When Aria and I were on our dates we ran into Hanna and Caleb, then we ran into Hallie and Toby, who insisted on us all eating together." Emily explained.

"Oh," Spencer said, understanding.

"Yeah, and Hallie was drunk, so her normal irritating behavior was on max." Hanna groaned as she took off her heels.

"Oh and guess what! We're going to Vegas!" Aria exclaimed with fake enthusiasm.

"Wait what?" Spencer shouted, more confused than ever.

"Hallie said we should go to Vegas as a final vacation before the wedding." Emily said.

"Who's we?" Spencer asked

"Well us four, Hallie and Toby, Samara, Ezra, Caleb, Ryan and Drew." Hanna said.

"And you agreed to this?" Spencer questioned in disbelief.

"I was skeptical at first, but it did sound nice. Spence, you deserve a break from all of the wedding crap." Aria explained.

"Yeah, it's the one place where you can drink as much as you want without being judged." Hanna added with a small smirk, knowing this would convince her.

It didn't take much after that for Spencer to agree, and now the whole gang was at the airport Thursday morning. They were all sitting in the waiting area, waiting for their flight number to be called over the intercom. Spencer being Spencer, couldn't sit still, so she decided to walk around the airport. Drew offered to walk with her, but she politely declined. She wandered around until she found herself next to the large windows where you could watch the planes take off. She thought about all those sappy romance movies where one half of the couple has to leave and the other rushes to the airport to stop them at the gates. Or, where one of them watches the other take off in the plane. They'd look out the window and press their hands against the glass wishing they didn't have to say goodbye. She wonders if she could have done that with Toby when he left for California, but he never told her the date and time of his flight. Maybe that was for the best though. It would've been even harder to watch him on that plane flying away.

She was snapped out of her thoughts by a voice behind her.

"Hey, Spence." Toby's warm voice greeted.

"Hey, Toby." She said, softly replying.

They both looked out the window, watching planes fly into the air before Toby spoke up again. "I was a little surprised that you agreed to come."

"Really?" she questioned, looking over at him.

"Yeah, but I'm glad you did." He turned to look at her, giving her a small smile.

She smiled slightly, nodding, before turning back to the window. "Yeah, well, I thought if would be a nice break after all this wedding planning you know?"