NINE Greenie

The new green bean was terrified after he noticed the walls. He had to be locked up to help calm him down. Greenie didnt remeber his name either.

"Well at least we didnt faceplant." Paige laughed as they dispersed to go back to work.

Gally came to meet Ada at her break and sat with her in the shade.

"Its a boy." He said looking at her and smiling at his little joke. It looked like the greenie was allowed out as he followed Alby to the tower.

"Yeah I saw." She replied absentmindedly. When he didnt add anything she looked up to see Gally lost in thought. "Whats on your mind?" She shoved Gally lightly.

"Nothing babe." He said putting an arm around her and kissing her forehead. "Back to work."

He got up leaving her as the day dragged on and she couldn't wait for supper. She hadn't been able to stomach breakfast lately so lunch and supper were her favorites.

There was a commotion at the maze entrance she looked to see Gally shove the Greenie far. Impressed by her man's strength she smiled. Boys she thought. Just as the doors closed she looked up and went to find Anna for supper. There would be a fire tonight.

She sat with Gally as he laughed with his friends. Minho sat with Kari for a little while as he looked to be working on a sketch. Gally started in the circle and watched in admiration as he defended his title. Ada loved how the fire light looked on Gally.

Gally had pushed his opponent into the Greenie watching him fall over. Gally had challenged him. After Gally fell he got up and pushed the greenie hard and when he hit head everyone stood and waited to see if he was okay.

Thomas. The greenies name was Thomas and they all cheered. Gally shook his hand and came to sit with Ada.

"Your so strong." Ada joked and squeezed Gally's muscles. He smiled and secretly loved when she complimented his strength. She looked to see Newt sitting with Thomas so she turned all her attention to Gally.

********

There was no time to relax the next day as Thomas asked a pile of questions to which Newt answered patiently. He was persistent Ada would give him that.

"What about you how long have you been here?" Thomas asked her.

"I came up just before you did." She answered.

"When did you remember your name?" He asked.

"Just a little while after my tour." She answered working on the vines with Newt as Thomas stared on.

"Does anyone remember anything. Like flashbacks or anything?" Thomas asked again.

Ada rolled her eyes and sighed. "Sometimes." She answered. Newt sent Thomas to get fertilizer. When suddenly she saw the greenie running out of the trees followed by Ben.

"What the." Ada said a look of horror on her face when she realized Ben had been stung. She had only heard that this was a death sentence. It wasn't really explained what it was but she knew this was it.

Finally they were pulled apart and Ben was taken to the cells. Alby ruled that Ben was to be banished. Anna screamed at the boys. No one could look at her not even Ada. Knowing there was no cure she could only comfort Anna as she clung to her. "They cant do this." She cried as they gathered at the maze opening. The sun was about to set and the doors would be closing soon. They watched Chuck walk towards them and they walked with him back to the homestead not wanting to witness what was about to happen.

"Anna, Alby!" They heard Ben scream as the doors closed behind them. They stopped walking for a moment. Then Anna headed towards their quarters.

"I'd like to be alone." She said. Ada's heart went out to her. So she went to supper and took Anna a plate. Ada left the plate beside her hammock and covered her up. Walking out the door to give her more time alone.She went to finding Gally and ate with them.

"Somethings not right with the Greenie." Gally said quietly for her ears only.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"All this klunk that's happening. It makes no sense why Ben was stung during the day." He said.

"Maybe this was going to happen anyways. " Ada said giving Gally's leg a squeeze. He looked at her and his eyes softened. "Its still awful though." She hung her head thinking about what all Anna said about not starting anything to make sure they didn't get hurt. Her heart again broke for her friend.

Thomas sat with them at supper and she saw that Chuck took to him immediately.

They had never seen Chuck get that excited over anyone and you kinda understood why. His energy was electric and his face held a determination she hadn't seen yet in any of the gladers. She new this greenie was special.

********

The next day Alby went out with Minho as the day passed. Newt finally got Thomas to help out. This was their family and it was nice to see that he was willing to put in the work. Maybe Gally would be appeased.

But when the evening came and there was no sign of Alby and Minho they waited at the door. Finally seeing them round the corner the Maze doors began to shut.

"Alby." Ada heard Newt cry out. Everyone cried out for them to hurry. They had to make it Ada thought. Not only for their family's sake but for Newt's.

"They're not going to make it." Thomas said. He suddenly sprang through the small opening of the doors. Newt tried to catch his arms but was too slow. As the doors slammed with finality silence filled the glade. No one ever survived a night. She thought turning away.

She went to Gally and he held her knowing how her heart hurt for her friends loss.

"I'm terrified I'll lose you too." Ada said to Gally. They stood alone in the trees.

"That's not going to happen. If I have anything to say about it." He said.

"I do know that Anna never regretted anytime she spent with Ben though." Ada replied. Gally nodded brushing her hair back while she looked up into his eyes.

"Im glad we gave us a shot even if I lost you. Im glad we took a chance." Gally looked at her. He planted a kiss on her lips and walked her back to their quarters.

********

The next day She woke to Newt and Chuck waiting at the door with Zart and Fry and a few other. She had left Anna in bed and looked for Gally. Seeing them waiting at the entrance.

"See Chuck." Newt said despondently.

She slowed down and was about to walk back with Chuck when she heard Zart.

"No way." turning around they had spotted all of them. Minho and Thomas carrying Alby. Exhausted they collapse as soon as they crossed the doors. They huddled around the boys who were covered in sweat and dirt.

"Did you see a griever?" Chuck asked.

"He didn't just see one." Minho replied. "He killed one." Everyone looked at Thomas.

She knew it. Thomas was the one they'd been waiting for.