SIXTEEN Divide

They had taken Minho. Thanks to Teresa WCKD had found their camp and had taken Minho after Newt, Fry and Thomas almost killed themselves rather than return back to WCKD. Teresa was a snake. She felt herself growing resentful towards Thomas. As much as she owed him for getting them this far he had trusted Teresa and now Minho was gone.

She knew that Thomas was going after him. She only hoped Newt would stay with her. Stay safe. She wanted to help but she new her strength was waning. Her body felt weak but she managed to hide it from everyone. They all had suffered enough without her having to add to it.

Ada sat alone cleaning her rifle. Everything seemed like muscle memory. She knew how to shoot and clean a rifle but didn't remember her training. During the fight against WCKD she managed to save Brenda and Jorge from a soldier and shoot a few more that trailed her friends. She wanted to shoot Ava Paige but when she pulled the trigger her clip was empty.

Deep in thought Thomas came to sit beside her. She looked at him still a little upset but this was her family and family forgives.

"Hey Ada." She was a little confused though as Thomas never really talked to her and his tense demeanor worried her.

"I don't know what happened with you but Newt wont tell me and he asked me not to involve you." She was a little taken aback. Why would Newt say that? "But I might need your help." Thomas explained to her how they were going to attack a train he believed was transporting Minho. They were going to steal the rail car. He explained how everyone had a part to play in the extreme plan he planned to pull.

"I made Minho a promise." Thomas said. "I promise I wouldn't leave him in a fate decided by WCKD.' He said. She sat thoughtfully as Thomas waited for her to reply.

"What did you need me to do?" She asked.

Thomas smiled. "I need you to help dig ditches. If you can be in position with Fry. I think Newt wouldn't mind if your far away from us." She nodded agreeing.

"Okay." She said going back to work. She was just about finished as Thomas stood to walk away. He stopped for a moment to look down at her without her noticing. After all they had been through he only now noticed the sparkle she had lost. She had supported him and it made him all the more determined to get them all to the safe haven.

*********

The train heist was a success. However, when the door of the rail car was finally opened Minho wasn't inside. Ada sat listening to Thomas make his plan to get to the city. They had gotten information from Aris. It was met with opposition as it seemed impossible with no reliable source. They all sat in a shipyard discussing how they would make it. Vince remained level headed. His only concern was getting them to the safe haven.

"We can figure it out." Ada spoke up.

"You are not going to be apart of this." Vince said firmly.

"Then what was the point of training me." Ada said. "I'm more than capable of helping than anyone here." Ada said.

"You remember." Vince said.

"Fighting was something I never forgot."  She said remembering her spar with Gally.

"She has a point." Jorge said remembering how she saved them.

"Stay out of this." Vince said angrily.
Suddenly hearing something they rushed and turned out the lights. They were past unnoticed. When everyone calmed down Ada went to find Newt.

"Don't go." Ada pleaded. Newt wrapped his arm around her looking into the sky.

"I owe Minho." He replied.

"No you don't. Stay with me." She looked up to him.

"I do Ada. Minho saved me." She waited for him to elaborate.

"I tried to kill myself climbed to the top of the maze. Looked down and jumped. Minho found me. I had broken my leg. He never told anyone what happened that night." He said. "He's looked after me ever since. Sometime we just have to be brave for the ones we care about."

Ada was surprised to hear that Newt used to be a runner. She thought about all the things she would never remember about them. Memories she never made with them because she was never really a part of their lives. She shook her head frustrated. He felt more loyalty to Thomas and the others than he would ever have for her. She pushed herself away from him.

"I understand." She said and walked away. Finding her hammock she lay in it and fell asleep looking at Thomas staring at the ceiling. She knew Newt would follow him where ever he went.

********

"Wake up they're gone." Brenda shook her whispering. It was early morning. "We need you." She said. Ada got out of her hammock and stood up a little dazed. Snapping out of it she stepped towards Anna. "No. They'll be no room." Brenda called out. Ada hesitated looking at her beautiful friend. She put her coat on and took one last look at her friend and left. Jorge waited for them by Bertha and grinned. He picked up a rifle and tossed it to her. Opening the door so she could hop in.

Ada sat in the back of the truck fuming. She knew this would happen but to not be even told is what pissed her off the most.

Brenda turned to look at her.

"We'll kick their asses when we find them." She said. Ada smiled. She found her temper had cooled when they rescued them in a tunnel from some cranks.

Ada shot expertly at the cranks closest to Thomas, Newt and Fry. They climbed in. Fry sitting next to Ada. She refused to look at Newt.

"I'm sorry." Thomas said to Brenda as she looked from the back seat to them. "I just didn't want to get anyone else involved. Fry looked at Ada.

"Hey I wanted you to come but Newt wasn't having it." Fry said as the wind whipped around them.

"Why is that?" Thomas asked Newt but he sat not acknowledging any of them. "She's the best shot out of all of us." Thomas added quieting down. Fry looked at Ada again.

They said nothing. Stopping once when they got to the out skirts of the city.

"Spent three years trying to break out of walls. Now were trying to get back in." Newt said shielding his eyes from the sun.

They had all got back into the car. Getting closer to the city they got out and Ada opted to leave the rifle taking the bullets with her. They found a large gathering of people and followed Thomas who looked for a way in. People passed and some trucks passed as well she looked up to see soldiers riding on top of the trucks. She saw a man shaped like Gally and she looked away not wanting to be reminded of him here.

"This is the way." Thomas said.

"Wait Thomas. How are you going to find away if none of these people could." Jorge said.

Thomas ignored them and continued to press through the crowd. This is not where she thought she would be. She stopped when the walls made aloud noise and large guns separated from the walls and aimed at them.

"Run!" Thomas yelled. They ran as the soldiers she had noticed before closed in around them and grabbed them. Jorge cried out for Brenda. Only Fry, Newt and Jorge were tossed in a truck with them. Newt looked at her.

"Are you okay?" He asked. She nodded trying to calm Jorge down. They had only gone a short distance when they stopped. Jorge grabbed the soldier and tossed him out of the back of the van. They hopped out and Brenda called out to Jorge. He calmed down once he realized she was fine.

"Hey were all on the same side here." A masked man said. Ada could feel her heart begin to beat.

"What do you mean?" Thomas asked stepping closer to the man. "Who are you?"

The masked man looked down and took a breath. He reached up and pulled his mask off. Looking up at them slowly.

"Hey Greenie." He said.