Treasure Hunt | Thirteen

[ Comment & Vote.🖤 ]

"Dalton?"

Bright white lights flickered on, and even with my eyes closed, I could see them surrounding me.

"Dalton?"

My eyes snapped open and I flew up into a sitting position. I was in bed. In my bed. The bed that I shared with Loran every night. And said person was sitting on the edge of my side of the bed, looking at me, his hand pressed to my knee over the blanket.

I was dreaming.

"It's time to get up," He said, shaking my knee a little.

I flinched and he moved his hand away. "Yeah, lazybutt, get up!" Treasure rested her chin on his shoulder, looking at me with that devious look in her eyes.

"I'm up, I'm up." I assured her, "What time is it, anyways?" I yanked the extra thick comforter off of myself, practically sweating under it.

"Almost 11:30." Loran said, nonchalantly.

"11:30? How come you let me sleep so late?"

"Because you were exhausted last night, so I figured you could use the extra sleep." Loran said.

I climbed out of the bed, stretching. "Has anything been set up? The party starts in less than an hour!" I looked between the two of them.

Loran stood up as well, placing his hands on my hips and bringing me closer to him. "We already set everything up. All that's left to do is take the cake out of the fridge, pick up the food, and entertain a bunch of nine-year-olds for the next three hours."

I looked between the two of them, "So no stressful last minute things need to be done?"

"Nada." T shook her head.

"Why do I feel like the two of you are hiding something from me?" The smile on their faces were too suspicious for my liking.

Loran rolled his eyes, but kissed me. "We promise, everything is great. You didn't even have to lift a finger."

I would have to accept their suspiciousness for now. "Then I'm gonna get a shower then."

"Sounds like a plan, stinky." Loran teased, kissing me again before ushering our daughter towards the door. They got halfway through it when I heard, "C'mon, T, let's go see if we can fix the light that we broke-"

"You broke what?" I yelled back.

But they were literally running away from me, laughing and giggling as they went. I sighed in defeat. Between the two of them, I didn't know who was gonna give me grey hair first.

"Blow out the candles and make a wish, Treasure!" I had just finished pulling her long, blonde hair, out of her face and into a quick ponytail.

She hesitated for a second, closing her eyes and grinning as she blew out the sparkly yellow 9 candle in the center her cake, followed by cheering from the four other children that were surrounding the table.

Loran cut the cake while Logan placed scoops of ice cream on to plates I was passing out. Zach sat at the table without saying a word. He didn't like to be around a lot of people, especially children, made him uncomfortable. But for Treasure's sake, he was toughing it out for her.

Treasure Rose Crawford was born on February 1st, 2012. I had been scheduled for a C-section at 30 weeks, but that didn't happen as she'd make her grand debut - nearly on the living room couch - at 25 weeks and 3 days.

That pain and agony was one I'd never be able to forget. Everything after that was a blur, though. I'd woken up in the hospital, days later from a hemorrhage that I was told wouldn't stop bleeding. Some odd days later, and I was stable.