Treasure Hunt | Twenty-Three

[ comment & vote.🖤 ]

Even after we'd...made amends last night, Loran was still acting weird. He wasn't angry, but I couldn't really gauge what he was feeling. He'd always been too good at hiding his emotions.

"You're going to be late for work." I was staring up at the ceiling and he was lying with his head on my chest.

"I don't have any walkthroughs until three."

"You might not have any walkthroughs," I ran my fingers through his hair. "But you still have paperwork and phone calls and emails to do. Think about it this way, if you're late, you're making Logan look like the responsible one."

A few years after Loran became a realtor, Logan got into house contracting, and they started working together in a property brothers-esque type of way. They were both great at what they did, but watching them actually putting their minds together to finish a project was amazing.

"Logan? Responsible? That's a good laugh." He scoffed and then let out a hard breath through his nose and buried his face in my chest. "I hate it when you're all sensible and reasonable."

"One of us has to be." I mused. "Talk to me, Loran. What's really eating you up, huh?"

"I just...I don't know." He groaned and picked up his head. I winced at his chin digging into my chest but he didn't seem to notice. "It's a little bit of everything, I guess. Between Treasure's health and Adam being brought into the picture..."

"What about him?"

He was quiet as he rolled off of me and sat up, instead. His arms resting on his knees. "Are you still attracted to him?"

"Really?" I sat up, too. "That's what this is about?"

"Humor me, then." He deadpanned me.

"No, Loran." I knew I was lying. I could pretend all I wanted that I didn't have some kind of feelings for him, still. But the way I felt for Loran felt more intense, felt more real. With Adam, it was and always would be a crush. With Loran, it was nothing but pure love.

He stared at me for a second, but seemed confident with that answer - good, because that was the only answer he'd ever get regarding it. He finally climbed out of bed, teasing me with a glance of his whiter-than-white backside. He did it on purpose, too, taking his sweet time to bend over and grab a fresh pair of boxers from the bottom drawer.

Zach was sitting at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of cereal as I entered the kitchen, aiming straight for the keurig.

"Do you want to be dropped off, again? Because if yes, your dad is about to leave."

"No," he shook his head. "I'm gonna talk to Marco, just like you said."

"Good." I kissed the top of his head. "At least someone in this family listens to me."

"I listen to you!" Loran was coming down the steps, messing with the top button on his shirt.

"Barely," I rolled my eyes. "You and Treasure are top tier for being brats."

"Now you're just being mean."

"Says you."

He rolled his eyes but held me in his arms, kissing me hard. I loved how he looked at me, even if it killed me to have that much attention on me.

"What?" I felt my face heat up.

"Nothing." He kissed me once, twice, three times before just hugging me, burying his face in the crook of my neck.